• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jonesy's 200th appearance

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Funnily enough, I don't remember him having too much to do at OT. Stevenage away was, by all accounts, a far better performance because it needed to be.
Yes,that was a great performance...We lost 0-2(Sept 05) it was all one way traffic & Jones kept uis in the game...

mammooman

Kicking is all about percentages, just think about it, if the ball goes out of play you have a good chance to win the ball back off a throw in located in the opposition half. Even if the opposition go onto win the first touch off the throw in they are likely to now be under pressure. Think of it a bit like a 'line-out' in Rugby.

The alternative is winning a header in midfield (Harley, Dunne, Noble and Sercs all known for their heading abilities) with the ball moving away from the player, then having the composure and technical ability in bringing the ball under control and able to pick a pass forwards from a goal kick, no point in passing backwards otherwise the ball would have been rolled out in the first place.

If the defenders can't collect and a kick to an unmarked player unavaliable then the most logical thing would be to kick it into touch as far up the pitch as possible to increase the chances of winning the next ball. Looks cr@p but much more likely to gain possession in the next 'play'.

Oh, and Jonesy, great achievement for the guy, 200 apps Conf/BSP to L1. I remember his first impression as a city goalkeeper was coming on in a match at Dag'nam (I think) after Rice was sent off, his first touch was to save a pen.

Mark Cordell

Hats off Jonesy!! When he has lost his place he has put his head down and worked hard to get it back. Never to my knowledge really complained or looked to move as a result. Model professional.

Poultice

Model professional.
Looks like a bloody model when the ball comes into the box sometimes.

PeteUSA

Looks like a bloody model when the ball comes into the box sometimes.
I had to laff!! :D

eastdulwich

A great achievement. Would be nice in some on here would acknowledge that. At times, he's been utterly fantastic. Great shot stopping ability and MoM on many occasions. A time to reflect on his positive contribution, rather than the areaS where he needs or can improve. Well done young man.

eastdulwich

********. Airfix model or Kate Moss? Come on, give us the benefit of your wit and insight. I always look to you as the intellectual barometre of Exeweb.

wemissmoxey

Jonah has handled himself very well during his time at city, hopefully he can kick on again.

PeteUSA

Jonah has handled himself very well during his time at city.
Be that as it may, its his goalkeeping thats been a bit inconsistant.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Be that as it may, its his goalkeeping thats been a bit inconsistant.
Inconsistent like your spelling?

Congratulations to Jonah, a great achievement racking up this many appearances in one of our club's most successful periods.