• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Johnsons Paint Trophy changes

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apologies if I have missed it but I haven't seen this mentioned/discussed anywhere. The proposal is to have PL reserve sides in the JPT. Apparently only Wimbledon out 48 L1 and L2 sides voted against.

Ridiculous proposal and the start of a very slippery slope to giving the PL what they want - reserve teams in the league structure.

More details on this link

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/03/johnstones-paint-trophy-premier-league-b-teams-england-world-cup-wembley-walsall-bristol-city

I'd like to know why ECFC didn't vote against. We will attract a bigger gate playing Yeovil, Bristol City etc than Everton or Villa reserves.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Premier League largesse (as the PL see it) that is paid to us lower classes might have played a part here.

Our reserve teams to play in the JPT or else ?

ecfc70

The PL already have a cup competition they play their reserves in, it's called the League Cup........Rubbish idea and de-values the competition for L1 & 2 teams trying to get a game at Wembley.....though it will draw in a crowd if you get one of the PL teams with players trying to get match fit after being injured

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd like to know why ECFC didn't vote against. We will attract a bigger gate playing Yeovil, Bristol City etc than Everton or Villa reserves.
I'd imagine there was money (bribing) involved.

The Prem sides will be paying to enter so I'm guessing us and the other 47 football league clubs would get a share of what they pay.

Last edited:

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Last edited:

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The JPT attracts notoriously small crowds and people only seemingly take an interest if the latter stages are reached. For this reason alone I don't have strong feelings on this. Tin pot competition, but would prefer to watch us play Arsenal reserves in it than Stevenage

tagz

I have only been to one JPT match in the past 2 seasons but one thing I wouldn't like to see is e.g. Palace Reserves v West Brom Reserves final.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The football league had a get together and thought how can we make the JPT more pointless?

At least they found an answer to the question no one asked.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
No decision has been made. Not sure why Wimbledon mislead the football world with their version of events.

The 72 have agreed to look at proposals and they should be put to a meeting in due course.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
No decision has been made. Not sure why Wimbledon mislead the football world with their version of events.

The 72 have agreed to look at proposals and they should be put to a meeting in due course.
Fair enough but it worries me that the FL should even be looking at it. They should have said FRO - leave our competitions alone. As ECFC70 said, they have already devalued the League Cup enough as it is over the past 5 years.