• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

John Lobbett

Mike Blackstone

I'm sure there must be those on Exeweb who will remember Exeter City goalkeeper John Lobbett, who played for the club in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

I was pleased to be able to make contact and have a chat with John last evening, as part of the ongoing research into the A to Z Players book.

It's always good to speak to ex-Grecians especially those like Lobbett who were part of my very early supporting days of Exeter City.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Now we're talking......

I remember John as being a very worthy succesor to George Hunter. He shared the GK jersey with Alan Jones into the early 60's. I believe that National Service interupted Johns career for a year or two, but he emerged as undouted number one. I seem to recall that he attracted attention from bigger clubs at the time, Bristol Rovers being one, but he stuck with City. He played in the FA Cup match against then First Division Luton Town at SJP on January 9th 1960, with a 20,000+ attendance, and was very unlucky to concede a brace from Gordon Turner, City having taken a 1-0 lead courtesy of flying winger Nelson Stiffle (with a little bit of luck when Luton left back Alan Daniel deflected the ball past England first choice keeper Ron Baynham)

On a sadder note, according to the E&E, I see that Johns wife passed away about a year ago now, for which I offer my sincere condolences.

A brave keeper if ever there was one.

Last edited:

Kingsman

Now that was an atmosphere Pete, I remember being in the cowshed and you could say it was a bit crowded. If my memory serves me correctly didn't Luton score while John Lobbett was down injured after taking a bang to the head? I have to say Alan Jones was one of my favourite goalkeepers of all time. I can remembr one game when City were entrenched in the opponenents half and Jonesy was leaning against the post talking to fans on the bank when one of our opponents decided to shoot from the half way line, result ............
I think Alan Jones like Nelson Stiffle went off to play for Bankstown in Australia, though I might be mistaken.

PeteUSA

Now that was an atmosphere Pete, I remember being in the cowshed and you could say it was a bit crowded. If my memory serves me correctly didn't Luton score while John Lobbett was down injured after taking a bang to the head?
Close my friend, but the incident you refer to was when John got the ball straight in the knackers! I dont recall that incident as leading up to a goal, but hey! After 50 years, I could well be wrong.

The major talking point in that game though as you'll no doubt recall, was when Billy Bingham crocked Gordon Dale in front of the OG with a disgracefull two footed challenge early on, which meant we were down to ten men for most of the game!

No red, or yellow cards in those days unfortunately. Just a stern warning from the ref, along the lines of "dont let that happen again"!

Were we robbed, or what?

Mike Blackstone

Lobbett got his first team chance when the unfortunate Hunter broke his leg against Port Vale. Having won a regulalr spot in the team, he then faced stiff competition from Alan Jones, and as a result only featured in 44 league matches. he later moved to Bath City, then Barnstaple Town.

Jones left Exeter in July 1962, signing for Norwich City. His stay at Carrow Road lasted only last one season and nine league appearances through and in August 1963 he linked up with Wrexham, where he again played just one season, appearing in 18 league games. Jones then emigrated to Australia where he played for the Pan Hellenic club.

PeteUSA

That was short and sweet Mike, since you've got me racking my brains for more than that.

See how you get on tracking down Gordon Dale. See what his view is of that Bingham challenge. I've an awful feeling he's beyond being contacted, but give it a go. I'm off to bed!

Mike Blackstone

See how you get on tracking down Gordon Dale. See what his view is of that Bingham challenge. I've an awful feeling he's beyond being contacted, but give it a go.
You are indeed correct, Dale died in Portmsouth in 1996.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The major talking point in that game though as you'll no doubt recall, was when Billy Bingham crocked Gordon Dale in front of the OG with a disgracefull two footed challenge early on, which meant we were down to ten men for most of the game!
As Dale was our "danger man", it was considered to be a premeditated foul. The SJP crowd has rarely, if ever, been so enraged.

grecian55

Whilst holidaying at HMP Exeter i the 70`s ,one of the prison officers was an old boy called Bill Lobbet,he was a little bit eccentric and often chatted to us about ECFC and fancied himself as a bit of a goalkeeper too,nice bloke though,any relation par chance ??

Kingsman

Close my friend, but the incident you refer to was when John got the ball straight in the knackers! I dont recall that incident as leading up to a goal, but hey! After 50 years, I could well be wrong.

No red, or yellow cards in those days unfortunately. Just a stern warning from the ref, along the lines of "dont let that happen again"!

Were we robbed, or what?
Remember it well and Bingham became the most disliked man ever to set foot on the St James pitch. He got boo'd everytime he set foot in the ground.