• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Joel Randall (to Peterborough)

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it is also fair for fans to point out that MT must get the recruitment right now though.

It's a big couple of weeks and hopefully we are able to bring in some real quality as with the injuries to Archie and Hartridge it shows the lack of depth within the squad.
This is the crux of the matter and you’ve hit the nail on the head.

IF Taylor manages to sign a couple of statement players, it will go a long way to appeasing fans.

That epic transfer deadline day when we brought in Stockley, Boateng and the two WBA lads, it was just what was needed after selling Watkins and Wheeler. All of a sudden we started to look forward rather than backwards, and that’s what we need now!

So you didn't read the massive post I wrote, (that you liked) you did read it but didn't understand it, or you just don't believe it.

Which is it?
Yeah I did…but that doesn’t really cover the millions of pounds we’ve taken in over the last couple of seasons. Or why they’re spending money on things like they are…train in a tent for all I care…I’m not interested in having the best training ground in League 2 for the next 25 years.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
No problem in this move. The club were backed into a corner because he didn’t sign the deal.

However I do have a problem with the recruitment so far and worry that MT doesn’t have the contacts to really pull in these players we were after. He cannot use budget as an excuse this season.

End of last year I wanted him moved on having not really moved forward an bottled a good position yet again with what was a decent side with excellent youth players. Tactically found wanting with no plan b. When he spoke of the bigger budget I felt that, ok he’s going for the too good for the league approach instead, that extra bit of quality that papers over the the shallow tactics.

He has 3 weeks to show he’s not a complete failure in the transfer market in my eyes.

Good luck Joel, good player - I hope the injuries don’t recur.

IF Taylor manages to sign a couple of statement players, it will go a long way to appeasing fans.

That epic transfer deadline day when we brought in Stockley, Boateng and the two WBA lads, it was just what was needed after selling Watkins and Wheeler. All of a sudden we started to look forward rather than backwards, and that’s what we need now!
Only thing is I’m not convinced with Taylor’s recruitment. I’m impressed with his bringing through the youth, but if you look at all his signings the only ones that have worked out are Bowman, Williams and Nicky. I just hope now he doesn’t start gambling on journeyman on 2/3 year deals whom will only accept that type of length of contract.

Grecian Max

Is it not entirely conceivable that MT might think the likes of Harry Kite are perfectly acceptable back-ups for Archie but not perhaps at quite the level yet where he wants to build the team around them for the first however many weeks / months of the season?

Of course, it would be great if we could replace like with like but someone of comparable ability and experience to Archie is unlikely to be satisfied with a place on the bench at Exeter. It's like expecting Liverpool to have a second VVD waiting in the wings.
Archie is fine but not that integral to us. Tbh I wanted us - and still do - to find a player of real quality in his position to really push him.

What’s eve point in signing more meh players for “depth” when our starting 11 isn’t looking that great in itself

Archie is fine but not that integral to us. Tbh I wanted us - and still do - to find a player of real quality in his position to really push him.

What’s eve point in signing more meh players for “depth” when our starting 11 isn’t looking that great in itself
I’d argue he is integral to us, he’s the only player that passes through the lines and forward, he goes under the radar…but you’ll usually see most of our goals start with him.

Id take Boateng back right now! Just been released aswell I think. Inconsistent but on his day very good…better than what we’ve got now in midfield.

Grecian Max

The club had to accept the offer for Joel if it’s near the reported £1.5m. I have no issue with that. My biggest concern is where the so called biggest budget is history has gone. Either Matt misled us initially, lied on Saturday or we’re seriously over paying Dieng and Grounds!
It’s neither and it’s staring you in the face. Matt’s an honest guy we all know that.

The simple fact is, up to now - he and the board and anyone else involved in recruitment haven’t performed to a good enough standard this summer. For whatever reason they have failed thus far to upgrade the side properly.

Looking on Twitter and the rest of socials we’re now starting a season with a lot of negativity from the fans. That’s a massive shame and real missed opportunity. No one is going to take the budget or location thing seriously.

With fans back his job is truly on the line… for everyone’s sake I hope we make some real quality moves soon…

Grecian Max

I’d argue he is integral to us, he’s the only player that passes through the lines and forward, he goes under the radar…but you’ll usually see most of our goals start with him.
He’s an above average league 2 player who is massively overrated on here

Grecian Max

Id take Boateng back right now! Just been released aswell I think. Inconsistent but on his day very good…better than what we’ve got now in midfield.
Boateng is a classy player who doesn’t always turn up… certainly better than what we have now though I agree