• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Job protection plans / Furlough scheme....

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I always thought Stroudy and Log were civil servants.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have not met the Stroudmeister as far as I am aware but I can confirm that Lionel is very civil.

elginCity

......there’s 750,000 people in work and on UC. What I don’t understand is why UC isn’t the default option for those furloughed. I’m not suggesting they should be seeking alternative employment. I simply don’t like, nor understand a two tiered system.
My guess would be - it's easier to manage all round if the company deals with employee furlough via their payroll, and the exchequer subsidises the company directly, rather than the government process each individual employee as a benefit claimant.

Of course, many Tory-voting middle class types with a large mortgage would never hope to cope on UC, but could manage on 80% of their earnings.

angelic upstart

Easier it may be. It will also provide plenty of temporary work for those that have regrettably lost their jobs.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
My guess would be - it's easier to manage all round if the company deals with employee furlough via their payroll, and the exchequer subsidises the company directly, rather than the government process each individual employee as a benefit claimant.

Of course, many Tory-voting middle class types with a large mortgage would never hope to cope on UC, but could manage on 80% of their earnings.
Does 80% of 30k a year cover a hefty mortgage in suburbia, no in many cases.

elginCity

Does 80% of 30k a year cover a hefty mortgage in suburbia, no in many cases.
£30k pa wouldn't be enough to qualify for a hefty mortgage in suburbia, in many cases.

LOG

I have never been in the pay of the public purse.

#teamprivatesector

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
£30k pa wouldn't be enough to qualify for a hefty mortgage in suburbia, in many cases.
Exactly.

StroudGrecian

So finally the government understands the need to extend the furlough scheme throughout the winter, bringing us into line with other major European economies.

Better late than never I suppose, but this was needed way back in August when it was abundantly clear a second wave was coming. Could have avoided thousands of redundancies.

DB9

So finally the government understands the need to extend the furlough scheme throughout the winter, bringing us into line with other major European economies.

Better late than never I suppose, but this was needed way back in August when it was abundantly clear a second wave was coming. Could have avoided thousands of redundancies.
Yep like me, I'm really hacked off about this, My redundacy started Sunday (1st Nov) and this happens, Had to sign on yesterday (JSA), No choice but that is only £75 pw not sure how I'll manage for too long, Looking but no luck yet, If only my firm was brave enough to hold on, Things might be better next spring and it would'nt have cost them either.