Job protection plans / Furlough scheme....

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
......there’s 750,000 people in work and on UC. What I don’t understand is why UC isn’t the default option for those furloughed. I’m not suggesting they should be seeking alternative employment. I simply don’t like, nor understand a two tiered system.
My guess would be - it's easier to manage all round if the company deals with employee furlough via their payroll, and the exchequer subsidises the company directly, rather than the government process each individual employee as a benefit claimant.

Of course, many Tory-voting middle class types with a large mortgage would never hope to cope on UC, but could manage on 80% of their earnings.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Easier it may be. It will also provide plenty of temporary work for those that have regrettably lost their jobs.

The Proper Chap

My guess would be - it's easier to manage all round if the company deals with employee furlough via their payroll, and the exchequer subsidises the company directly, rather than the government process each individual employee as a benefit claimant.

Of course, many Tory-voting middle class types with a large mortgage would never hope to cope on UC, but could manage on 80% of their earnings.
Does 80% of 30k a year cover a hefty mortgage in suburbia, no in many cases.