Job protection plans / Furlough scheme....

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t understand why there’s a need for any job protection scheme, when we have universal credit as the default fall back option. In this circumstance, if your job is being put “on hold” I’d not expect applicants to be actively looking for work.

Alistair20000

Tough one Chap.

The furlough scheme was far too generous with much naughtiness afoot.

The various help schemes have in some cases benefitted those who did not need help and left many other more deserving cases out.

Funeral directors getting two lots of £25,000 rates grants when they were making more money than ever one of the most bizarre examples I have seen.

Only the real economy can create real lasting and meaningful jobs and subsidies will tend to make it harder to make the painful adjustments needed. No point in propping up zombie jobs and history tells us that governments are utterly inept at “picking winners”

The problem is that where the government has decided to swing its wrecking ball at particular business sectors it seems very unfair to punish them and the workers.

Sunak is going to have to be very smart to come up with something that is not simply throwing money at the problem but I am expecting another shaking of the magic money tree.

Maybe there is nothing better than a temporary increase in universal credit for workers losing their jobs.

Alistair20000

Why a temporary increase in UC?
As a short term measure to give some additional monetary support to those who lose their jobs or businesses through the decisions the government has made.

A temporary sticking plaster. Simple to put in place.

If your point is that UC set is too little that is a matter for a different debate of wider issues.

angelic upstart

No wider point re UC. Just don’t see why there should be a two tier system.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is a Tory Government like no other (yeah, I know :)) with a relatively newly acquired working class base, they were never going to be anything other then generous with their COVID interventions. Its been quite noticeable that the only people I've heard really complaining about Sunak have been middle class small/medium business owners and Luvvies from the arts sector.
I'm not sure the anticipated post furlough jobless tsunami is going to be as cataclysmic as some are saying it will be.