• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jay Stansfield

Stelios

As an aside a real point of difference between Matt Taylor and his predecessor is his willingness to sign players who haven't quite made the grade at bigger clubs but who are still young enough to have a reasonable chance to be sold on for a profit. Again hopefully the odds are that at least one of Ward, Williams or Smerdon will make us some decent money at some point.
Agree with this and fully supprt these efforts to sign these kinds of players but I have a feeling some won't be happy when we find out the sell-on clauses when/if we sell them on. I get the feeling we're only able to sign them by allowing their previous clubs a huge sell on clause.

I don't know any details. But MT was pretty honest about this when Randell signed.

Pobbop

Didn't we sign Troy, Dunne, Golbourne and the like from other clubs, stretching IMHO.

I agree with the first paragraph though SEA Grecian, decent money for a kid that may never have made the grade, and pointless to bemoan the rules on this one, because I am pretty sure like Foxy's son, under the old rules he could have left for nowt.

Mind you I think Taggy is right to try to fight for more, but as he did not sign a pro-contract, we have done not awfully with this one.

jimbo-gould

In hindsight we should have named the Stagecoach the Tony Kellow stand. And the sooner we get the number 9 shirt back in action the better. Time to move on.

Onwards and upwards
Why in hindsight? We don’t name it that for Jay.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Two simple questions for Dannyboy
1) Are you a Trust member?
2) If so, with all of your superior business acumen and progressive ideas, why not put yourself forward as a candidate in the next Trust election?
I look forward to considering your detailed manifesto with great interest.

Dannyred

Funny isn't it, that for someone who has so much criticism for just about everything the club and Trust do, whenever anyone challenges you to put forward your own ideas, you have nothing to say. You can't even explain in what way you think they are failing.
You demonstrate how little you understand about the business value of volunteering, not just the financial value of it, but what feeling volunteering generates amongst a customer base. The sense of belonging and ownership generated is something all businesses attempt to achieve. Sometimes known as emotional advertising, some studies rates it's importance above that of product satisfaction, and advertisers and businesses recognise it's business importance and benefits as one of the most valuable marketing assets.
Volunteering is about more than the money it saves, although this is in itself considerable, so Exeter City using volunteers and engaging it's supporters is not the sign of a tinpot organisation, it's the sign of some very savvy business practice.
Bill you and the trust would be quite happy over the next 5 years if we stayed as we were in league 2 chasing the play offs and cheaply giving away players.

I am fully behind MT and the team as I was ‘tis and his teams plus those training our youth players.

Our trust seems to have settled on just over 3000 members, They don’t seem to grow the trust this is because they lack ideas or can’t be bothered.

You mentioned volunteers and someone else on here mentioned the chairman was paid an extra £20k from the previous year, how do they go together as one club ?

I have given you a great idea awhile ago let the women play at SJP the kudos would be great for the club. The trust board won’t listen so my other ideas would be a waste of time as other people’s ideas have been too.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Can we not go off topic and talk about the Trust here. There are loads of threads to talk about the Trust. This is hugely disrespectful to the young mag, Jay Stansfield.

Dannyred

Two simple questions for Dannyboy
1) Are you a Trust member?
2) If so, with all of your superior business acumen and progressive ideas, why not put yourself forward as a candidate in the next Trust election?
I look forward to considering your detailed manifesto with great interest.
I have known people who have said it’s a closed group that you can’t change even when on the trust board.

I would however like to see the trust board have a compulsory 2 female members.

andrew p long

[QUOTE="SEA Grecian, post: 1806062, member: 14724

As an aside a real point of difference between Matt Taylor and his predecessor is his willingness to sign players who haven't quite made the grade at bigger clubs but who are still young enough to have a reasonable chance to be sold on for a profit. Again hopefully the odds are that at least one of Ward, Williams or Smerdon will make us some decent money at some point.
[/QUOTE]

What a rewriting of history! As well as TAH Golborne and Dunne, Tisdale signed a chap called Jayden Stockley. And Hiram Boateng. These players all hadn’t made the grade at bigger clubs and between them generated a transfer profit for City exceeding one million pounds.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
[QUOTE="SEA Grecian, post: 1806062, member: 14724

What a rewriting of history! As well as TAH Golborne and Dunne, Tisdale signed a chap called Jayden Stockley. And Hiram Boateng. These players all hadn’t made the grade at bigger clubs and between them generated a transfer profit for City exceeding one million pounds.
[/QUOTE]

TAH, Golbourne and Dunne were signed in 2009 and 2010 while Stockley and Boateng both signed in 2017 which left a gap of 7 years when we didn't manage to sign anyone from a bigger club we could sell on for a profit. Anyway, my intention wasn't to turn this thread into another Tis v Taylor slanging match but to point out that it is very noticeable that in this and the last transfer window we have signed three players with the potential to be sold on for a profit. The reason I mentioned it on this thread was because I wondered if this was a deliberate policy to compensate for the fact we may not get as much money for our academy players as we might like and to provide a back-up source of income.

STURTZ

When did Wheeler join us then?