• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Window - What do we need - Buy or Loan

Boyo

Will Bowman attract interest in January considering he is the player other managers ask about most (according to Matt Taylor).
Nah - can't see it. He's not good enough in front of goal to play for a top half L1 team and he's 29 now. A short video of his goals this season would reveal a couple of rebounds, a few tap ins and not much else.

Archie, Joel and Josh however...

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm presuming Bowman is out of contract next summer.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seems strange that a club capable of scoring as many goals as we have are desperate for a goal scoring forward! It must be because of the system we play which seems to feature seven forward minded players with only three and a goalie trying to keep them out. Even our defensive midfielders seem to pop up in the oppos box on a regular basis. To make solid team we would need some pretty special players at the back. Perhaps we should just rethink our strategy and change our shape, adopt a boring Arsenal aproach or Tisdale type tactics (hold them for 80 mins and then attack!), to try an snatch a 1:0 win. Personally quite happy to continue with the present tactics and personell, I'm actually enjoying the ride!

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I believe Bowman is out of contract this summer as are a significant number of our senior players. Not necessarily a bad thing with all the youngsters doing so well meaning there will be space and more importantly budget to supplement them with some quality senior pros.

Grecianpasty

Either you're on the wind up or you're delusional. Williams has been average at best and poor pretty mist of the time. I've got more chance winning the lottery than us selling and getting anything worthwhile for Williams in January.
That's a lot to assume based on one small comment. The bloke should have gone back In the last transfer window, and I'm hoping he will do in the January one.

andrew p long

I think so - I seem to recall mention of a 2.5 year contract, which would have been natural.

Next summer will be interesting. We know (I think) from announcements of contract length when signing that Law, Atangana Parkes (and Fisher) will also be out of contract then. In fact probably all the senior pros (Taylor,Sweeney, the keepers) will also be out of contract except (possibly) the three signed this year. An exception is probably Ajose, if he was given a three year deal.

Much will depend, of course, on our perceived financial position and how the transfer income stacks up against the Covid losses on top of the 600k pa we were losing. I wouldn't be surprised by another major clear out of established expensive players like this last summer, with perhaps new contracts offered at reduced wages for those MT wants to keep (Bowman,Parkes?)

Red Devon

I think so - I seem to recall mention of a 2.5 year contract, which would have been natural.

Next summer will be interesting. We know (I think) from announcements of contract length when signing that Law, Atangana Parkes (and Fisher) will also be out of contract then. In fact probably all the senior pros (Taylor,Sweeney, the keepers) will also be out of contract except (possibly) the three signed this year. An exception is probably Ajose, if he was given a three year deal.

Much will depend, of course, on our perceived financial position and how the transfer income stacks up against the Covid losses on top of the 600k pa we were losing. I wouldn't be surprised by another major clear out of established expensive players like this last summer, with perhaps new contracts offered at reduced wages for those MT wants to keep (Bowman,Parkes?)
I think Jake Taylor may have signed something late in 2019 but don’t quote me on it.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'll win the £175m on the euro millions tonight n sort all this out 👍

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll win the £175m on the euro millions tonight n sort all this out 👍
Hop over to the If you won....thread and tell us what you're going to blast your wad on.

Colesman Ballz

At the same time we will have to think of enhancing the contracts of those graduates of our academy who have successfully made the breakthrough.