• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Transfer Window 2022

ExmouthMart

Ah, the classic case of wanting to sign a player who has had a good game against us. Despite the fact we made him look like a world beater his overall record is pretty average.
No not really looked a good player. Quick and direct but we got Caprice and he is way better than average obviously. His total career stats would be the dictionary definition of ‘pretty average’…….

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure why so many de-value Jay, although I do agree with what Max says in that I’m also not sure if Jay would fit in to certain teams’ systems.

But when you consider he’s scored 32 goals in a season and a half (from a no.10 position), he’s only 25 and has 18 months left on his contract, he should definitely be in and around the £750k-1m valuation IMO.
As I've said before, it's not about how we value him but how the outside footballing world view him. 25 years old before he makes any kind of real impact at his club, physically not the biggest, is effective for us but plays in a bit of a niche role and how much more is he going to progress. Do you honestly see Jay successfully playing Championship football unless he got there with us? I compared him Erhan Otzumer back then as the two are very comparable in all sorts of way. What did Otzumer do after he left Walsall? Not a great deal but whilst at Walsall he was a Turkish God.

ExmouthMart

As I've said before, it's not about how we value him but how the outside footballing world view him. 25 years old before he makes any kind of real impact at his club, physically not the biggest, is effective for us but plays in a bit of a niche role and how much more is he going to progress. Do you honestly see Jay successfully playing Championship football unless he got there with us? I compared him Erhan Otzumer back then as the two are very comparable in all sorts of way. What did Otzumer do after he left Walsall? Not a great deal but whilst at Walsall he was a Turkish God.
He’s quite highly valued by other Clubs surely?! Hence why there’s interest and probably bids for him. Don’t believe for one minute that nonsense about we don’t need to sell because we are in a good financial position. Any bid that matches the club’s valuation for any player they will be sold. It’s how we survive.
Jay has been consistently in the last two seasons our best player and he’s taken his chance and his game has improved. I don’t understand why he gets more he flatters to deceive comments than anyone else. There plenty of other bang average players in the team to pick holes in.

grecIAN Harris

He’s quite highly valued by other Clubs surely?! Hence why there’s interest and probably bids for him. Don’t believe for one minute that nonsense about we don’t need to sell because we are in a good financial position. Any bid that matches the club’s valuation for any player they will be sold. It’s how we survive.
Jay has been consistently in the last two seasons our best player and he’s taken his chance and his game has improved. I don’t understand why he gets more he flatters to deceive comments than anyone else. There plenty of other bang average players in the team to pick holes in.
The interest might be there but nobody is going to be paying a million quid which is what some on here are suggesting he's worth. As for flattering to deceive, I don't think you'll find anybody has said anything near remotely like that. Sometimes you get players that suit a system and a club that can't be replicated anywhere else no matter how good they are for their current club. Does the name Ryan Harley ring any bells? He did things for us that I'd never seen a City player do before and don't expect to again but he couldn't replicate that anywhere until he came back to us again. That's how I see Jay panning out if he left us.

Last edited:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Those bang average players aren't being linked to moves higher up the pyramid.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed, I get that other clubs may not meet our valuation. However, my comment was specifically in regards to Snoop’s post about how a number of people on this forum slated him for suggesting WE should value Jay as high as £1M.

I agree he operates in a niche role but then, isn’t the no.10 role fairly common these days, so perhaps he could fit in at a number of clubs? I don’t necessarily think he’d succeed in the championship…Don’t think he’s quick enough for one thing, but if we are ever going to sell him, we should be pushing for £750k minimum as he’s so valuable to us. Whether he goes on and does an Oztumer and fades away is up for debate.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The interest might be there but nobody is going to be paying a million quid which is what some on here are suggesting he's worth.
How do you know that, Ian? I thought nobody would have paid money for Lloyd James, but they did. Stranger things have happened.

ExmouthMart

Those bang average players aren't being linked to moves higher up the pyramid.
So why get on his back then?! He will earn us money and hopefully have a better career, playing with better players.

grecIAN Harris

How do you know that, Ian? I thought nobody would have paid money for Lloyd James, but they did. Stranger things have happened.
I don't but if you start drawing the bits and pieces together and adding them up I don't think you get a million pound player. He's at an age where he is a here and now player. You're not talking potential like you are with Key.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
So why get on his back then?! He will earn us money and hopefully have a better career, playing with better players.
Don't think anyone is getting on his back, some of us just think he is a good player at our level and has been excellent for us for a couple of years but has limitations in terms of potential. Here to be proved wrong of course!