• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Transfer Window 2022

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two weeks away, injuries to Sam Nombe Tim Dieng Pierce Sweeney and Alex Hartridge has shown how strong our squad really is?

Matt Taylor in his recent EFL podcast has said he would like to make 1 or 2 signings after his positive spin on the location of the club and all the travelling involved (at least he is honest and players sign fully aware).

The Omnicron variant and the next couple of months may play into our favour with cancellations happening at the drop of a hat, giving time for the injured players to recover and the fatigued players to re coup, but it does mean that there will be a clutter of fixtures late on in the season when we will need a strong squad.

So what do we need, prioritize, as we are only going to make a couple and will they be permanent like Bowman and Stockley or loans. I say that we need a Strong Targetman to lead the line, one that others can feed off, particularly whilst Nombe is out and also upon his return, and a creative midfielder, one with an eye to spot others movement, finally at a push a left sided defender, but then we have Rowe Sparkes Daniel Grounds and Caprice so I don't see that happening. So buy a targetman 2 year contract, and similar for the midfielder, and loan a left sided defender

On the departure side I don't see much happening apart from Seymour having his contract bought out and him being put out of his misery. Some will say Key but he still isn't consistent enough for another club to warrant meeting our valuation, the raw talent is there but still needs fine tuning, the only other one then is Jay and I can't see many clubs wanting to fork out shed loads on the back of 1.5 seasons, and him currently having a dry spell but you never know. If these two do go they will need to be replaced particularly Key

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think from a footballing perspective the variant has probably come at a good time, I can't see us winning any of our December fixtures with the players we currently have out.

We certainly need a striker to back up Nombe. Whilst Amond is a good option, he clearly can't play 90 minutes twice a week and there is still a chance he could go back to Newport in January anyway. I would also go for a target man type centre forward, someone to give us a different option.

With everyone fit, I think we are OK for numbers defensively, however I do think Josh Key will leave in January, meaning Caprice will move over to RWB and Sparkes to LWB? Say then Caprice picks up an injury, I don't see how we could play with wing backs, so would be need another right sided player to replace the departing Key? It seems as though Hartridge and Sweeney might both be out until February, so maybe we could get someone in on a 6 month loan?

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think we need 2 strikers and right mid.

Red Devon

If we are to maintain a serious promotion challenge another striker that can put the ball into the net, it doesn’t have to be a big target man just someone who can score some goals, they’re the type that help to take the game away from the opposition...we currently have five LB/LBWs three who are not good enough and one who’s is right footed, so if a difference maker in that position were to become available it would be definitely worth the outlay...other than that I’d be pleasantly surprised if Key didn’t go.

arthur

Full backs who can tackle

Grecianpasty

We need someone up top who can match noombes energy, and allow Jevani and Jay to play around him.

I don't think a target man suits our style of play, but someone who can put themselves about it essential.

A centre back is high on my list too. But I'd be interested to see how Diabete faired in the Portsmouth game and possibly another league game first. I have little to no faith in Daniels or grounds.

scottus86

I see Oumar Niasse has dropped down to the 10th tier, would he be worth a punt? He had a reasonably decent career but has found himself in obscurity.

andrew p long

Louie Barry from Villa is an obvious call. Young striker, talented, promising - out on loan at Ipswich but not playing and not even getting into matchday squads. Talk that he should be recalled in January - and might pitch up at Swindon where his Villa colleague Kaine Kesler-Hayden has been such a success as a right back on loan this season.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suspect that MT will look to bolster our attack with a striker in the window, provided that Covid doesn't stop play.

Banksy

I suspect that MT will look to bolster our attack with a striker in the window, provided that Covid doesn't stop play.
Not another Ajose but a Cureton I hope.