• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Transfer Window 2022

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good. Sounds like chancers trying to get someone cheap with a late deal.That late we would have had no chance to get any sort of replacement in. With what we’ve got there’s a good chance of at least playoffs now.
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

ryancooper327

The ‘both our best interests’ but makes me think it might be someone out of contract soon so we would have liked a fee now. Wonder if it was for someone left field like Hartridge or Diabate…

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The ‘both our best interests’ but makes me think it might be someone out of contract soon so we would have liked a fee now. Wonder if it was for someone left field like Hartridge or Diabate…
I thought diabate and hartridge signed longer term deals last year?

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I interpreted it that way as well or it could be a release clause dependent upon what league we are in next season.

If I had to hazard a guess it would be Matt Jay. Portsmouth had previously shown interest and their CEO Mark Cullen has come out this week and said they almost lost a player late on deadline day which meant they then made a late offer for a player, but couldn’t agree a fee with the club involved. He also states the fee involved would probably be less in the summer.
Again, I don’t claim to have any inside knowledge on this, but if I had to make an educated guess I’d assume they were the club involved.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe none of our players with potential to be sold for decent money are out of contract this summer as the club has done a brilliant job of making sure they are all signed up on long-term contracts. The only exception was Joel Randall and he was shipped out when it became clear he wasn't going to sign a new contract.

grecIAN Harris

I interpreted it that way as well or it could be a release clause dependent upon what league we are in next season.

If I had to hazard a guess it would be Matt Jay. Portsmouth had previously shown interest and their CEO Mark Cullen has come out this week and said they almost lost a player late on deadline day which meant they then made a late offer for a player, but couldn’t agree a fee with the club involved. He also states the fee involved would probably be less in the summer.
Again, I don’t claim to have any inside knowledge on this, but if I had to make an educated guess I’d assume they were the club involved.
If you read his column on Devon Live, I don't think MJ would have gone even if it was him. 'He's got unfinished business'.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you read his column on Devon Live, I don't think MJ would have gone even if it was him. 'He's got unfinished business'.
Let's hope MJ starts finishing business from hereon in ! UTC

andrew p long

I too am puzzled by the 'both clubs' best interests' comment. I'm struggling to see how losing any key first team player on deadline day in January (and too late to use the money/sign a replacement) can be said to be in City's best interests. And why would we work hard to try to make it happen? I thought the line was 'we have our valuation, and unless that is matched then there is nothing to talk about'.

The best interpretation I can come up with is that it refers to a player who is going to leave sooner or later anyway and we need to do a deal when the fee is still high. And we would not want to be seen as obstructive lest the player concerned (and other young prospects) think we will stand in their way etc

Both Key and Jay have contracts running out in summer 2023. So value will really drop dramatically if they don't move on this summer. So could (must?) have been one of them. Sunderland unlikely as they don't have a manager....

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He's off to San Diego and wouldn't be what we are looking for.
On loan at Kilmarnock. Playing on the same side as Ben Chrisene against Celtic at the moment.

milts

On loan at Kilmarnock. Playing on the same side as Ben Chrisene against Celtic at the moment.
Who?