• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jake Taylor

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jake Taylor:

"I'm looking forward to taking my family back home"

His geography is better than Matt Taylor's. When MT left 'to go back up north' he ended up at Charlton more than 200 miles away. Jake is only 50 miles out.

Colesman Ballz

His geography is better than Matt Taylor's. When MT left 'to go back up north' he ended up at Charlton more than 200 miles away. Jake is only 50 miles out.
Don't remember MT leaving "to go back up north" per se. He was looking to play at a higher level. In fact he was persuaded to stay on for an extra year longer to try and achieve that with City, before eventually moving.

IndoMike

I reckon Matt Taylor offered him a lesser deal as well.
I don't think we'd treat him in that way, Proper. I think he just wanted to make his wife happy and move closer to their roots.
I had to do the same when the missus started to miss her family, just in my case it was ten thousand bleddy miles away.
At least she wasn't from Stevenage.
Good luck to Jake. Nice bloke who deserves the best imo

andrew p long

Don't remember MT leaving "to go back up north" per se. He was looking to play at a higher level. In fact he was persuaded to stay on for an extra year longer to try and achieve that with City, before eventually moving.
But he did say he was looking to move back up north didn't he when he turned down City's offer of a new contract (even if his motivations had other elements)? That's my recollection (which may of course be wrong) And to support my recollection there are contemporaneous posts in the 2011 'Matt Taylor to Charlton' thread saying 'but he said he wanted to move back up north'.

Another astonishing coincidence. Both City captains Taylor left City precisely ten years apart after seasons in which we'd got 70 points. Both signed for clubs much lower down the table, Stevenage 10 points less, Charlton 11 points less.

So (initially at least) MT's 'looking to play at a higher level' resulted in him joining a club that had finished 11 points and 5 places below City - indeed we had finished top half, Charlton (just) in the bottom half. Just like Jake Taylor's move to Stevenage City fans questioned MT's destination.

IndoMike

But he did say he was looking to move back up north didn't he when he turned down City's offer of a new contract (even if his motivations had other elements)? That's my recollection (which may of course be wrong) And to support my recollection there are contemporaneous posts in the 2011 'Matt Taylor to Charlton' thread saying 'but he said he wanted to move back up north'.

Another astonishing coincidence. Both City captains Taylor left City precisely ten years apart after seasons in which we'd got 70 points. Both signed for clubs much lower down the table, Stevenage 10 points less, Charlton 11 points less.

So (initially at least) MT's 'looking to play at a higher level' resulted in him joining a club that had finished 11 points and 5 places below City - indeed we had finished top half, Charlton (just) in the bottom half. Just like Jake Taylor's move to Stevenage City fans questioned MT's destination.
Charlton is up north, though, comparatively, so King Matt wasn't telling porkies. Admittedly it wasn't very up north. His wages would have been up north

Colesman Ballz

Charlton is up north, though, comparatively, so King Matt wasn't telling porkies. Admittedly it wasn't very up north. His wages would have been up north
Indeed, just about everywhere is (with the exception of that cesspit in Cornwall !) is "up north" to us. A friend of mine in Brighton was highly amused when we started the "Dirty Northern Barstewards" chant at their place ! :p

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster