• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Veale

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Catching the eye ? Football Insider seems to think so.

Expect the worst but hope for the best, as they say.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Obviously MOTM on Wednesday with two goals and an assist for the other one. Good to have a thread on this lad, already discussed on the Youth thread. As someone else said, it was hoped he would fly under the radar

January would be a strange time for him to move, but money talks. Let's hope that the cup run exploits will mean plenty of competition and a high price. T'will be terribly disappointing though to lose both Veale and Cox from that team before they get to City's first team.

Good to see that the Ollie Watkins fee is a background context for looking at City youngsters...buy now to save yourself £28m later...

Banksy

Assuming he doesn’t get under the radar , what’s the best we could hope for cash wise if someone came in for him in January.What a shame we are starting to lose these youngsters so early before we see any real benefit to the Club.Sadly , the pound signs call , understandable if you’re a young man just starting out I guess , but City’s hard work in development will never be reflected in what we get in these circumstances.Do we negotiate any sort of sell ons and how long would they last , at least then we’d make something later if they really made the grade in the top flight.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Assuming he doesn’t get under the radar , what’s the best we could hope for cash wise if someone came in for him in January.What a shame we are starting to lose these youngsters so early before we see any real benefit to the Club.Sadly , the pound signs call , understandable if you’re a young man just starting out I guess , but City’s hard work in development will never be reflected in what we get in these circumstances.Do we negotiate any sort of sell ons and how long would they last , at least then we’d make something later if they really made the grade in the top flight.
I would expect us to bag about 250k from him. Not bad but not bank breaking either.

denzel

Fair point,but if you're a youngster or a parent choosing a club to go to, you want to go to one that will develop you and you know that if you're good enough, you will be noticed by the top sides. Many of our kids dont live in Exeter - Ollie was from Newton Abbot - why did he join us instead of Torquay or ******? Or even the legions of other clubs who run Summer schools down here.
We may lose a few, but we are currently reaping the benefits anyway with 5 or 6 from the academy regularly starting in the first team. I wonder how many other clubs can say that?

robchave

Interesting comment - ''The 18-year-old prospect is the latest starlet off the production line of the League Two club’s famed youth set-up ''

Banksy

Interesting comment - ''The 18-year-old prospect is the latest starlet off the production line of the League Two club’s famed youth set-up ''
With statements like that being bandied around the parents of the skilfully blessed will be bringing their youngsters from all over the South West and beyond to sign up with us , moving house in their efforts to do their best for them. Joking apart , I suppose some parents do that to accommodate the youngsters if they are really good.

Trapdoor

If your kid is clearly gifted at the game I think most parents would be happy to support their lads/lasses traveling an hour or so for training.

Rosencrantz

If your kid is clearly gifted at the game I think most parents would be happy to support their lads/lasses traveling an hour or so for training.
In the recent post match interviews after the u16's cup final win, one of the goalscorers Mitch Beardmore was on the interview and Chris McPhee pointed out the dedication of him and his parents coming over from somewhere near Bournemouth three times a week. That must be on the 90 minute travel limit that Cat 3 academies are allowed. We have had boys from Cornwall to Somerset and Dorset.

Banksy

Interesting.So they do come from far and wide then.We have a seriously good reputation , long may it continue because it seems to be the Club’s lifeline now.