• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sparkes has some great skills, whilst he may not have blistering pace, he possesses the trickery to create a yard or so of space to deliver a pin point cross. His last minute winner at home to Harrogate was sublime, leaving their right back sitting on his arse before bending the ball into the far corner using the outside of his foot. There are those on these boards who are far too critical of some of our "home grown" players. Collectively they have won us promotion to league 1, one can't expect that the vast majority will become Premiershi*e players, but many will go on to have long careers as professional footballers which is no mean feat in itself in a highly competitive industry. Personally I would rather have them in the team rather than some journeyman, and if or when they move on, the Club can benefit financially too !

crocks

I have been thinking the same, and did say that when Key was being tried in that role. I think Jack has the close technical ability and threat with that left foot around the penalty area to be considered. Pace doesn't come into as much in that position, see how well Archie did it against Cambridge, and also when you have a left foot capable of coming up with that goal against Harrogate when chopping inside from the left...

Jack did play as centre forward for the u18's and I think would be much more of a goal threat than others in our squad playing a more forward position. He has good strength and can attack the penalty area well in the air which is something we don't have at the moment. I think it could be worth an experiment.
Would be better option than Scott

Grecian Max

Caldwell has made his mind up, League 2 bound. I reckon FGR.

Cowshed Grecian

I reckon Yeovil

SaintJames

Would be better option than Scott
Scott will come good you only have to look at how he was playing a couple of years ago. There is a tendency to jump to instant conclusions far too often. However, the idea of Jack playing as a forward with his lack of pace and not being the biggest simply wouldn't work in L1 maybe the conference as an emergency? I think we have seen the last of jack in an Exeter shirt sadly

Cowshed Grecian

I Feel a bit sorry for Sparkes he’s a LM in real terms, it was Taylor who converted him to LWB to fit his system. I Always remember Taylor saying he was going to eventually push him forward to concentrate on attacking. He would be ideal in a 4–4-2 system Left Midfield, football has evolved I don’t think anyone really plays like that anymore.

arthur

I Feel a bit sorry for Sparkes he’s a LM in real terms, it was Taylor who converted him to LWB to fit his system. I Always remember Taylor saying he was going to eventually push him forward to concentrate on attacking. He would be ideal in a 4–4-2 system Left Midfield, football has evolved I don’t think anyone really plays like that anymore.
People play 4 3 3 though....

Exehausted

It will be interesting to see what happens with Jack at the end of the season. Caldwell has clearly not forgiven him for his anger at being subbed against Charlton. I assume that there has been further words exchanged and I might be seeing something that doesn't exist here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Jack who is thought of as someone who sulks. Caldwell said when talking about Stanno a few weeks ago, that he understands when he starts on the bench and he doesn't sulk about it. I think that was a veiled reference to Jack, although I'm sure I'll be in a minority of one with that thought. Jack has become a Dad in the last couple of weeks so he will have his family as his main concern. I think he will be in demand with quite a few League One and Two clubs, despite what people on here think. I'm sure the club will want to make some money out of him at a tribunal, which means we will have to offer a contract of at least 12 months on at least the same money as he's on now. He might think, okay, I'll sign it and sit on my hands for a year and refuse to go out on loan. That then ties up a wage that could be used elsewhere. I think the club will have to let him leave for free and he can move somewhere else with his family on a two or three year deal like his pal MJ and start again.

jimmy

The only way he'll be playing League 1 football next season is if he is a squad player for us.

He's lower League 2 bound. No shame in that at all. We have had to go with head over heart for great clubsmen such as MJ. Sparkes will be moving on...

dontpassback

Sparkes will end up in league two,but there won’t be a shortage of offers