• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
just over 5 years. He was 16 in August 2017, due to turn 17 the following month, for that Swindon game.
Fair shout. Either way it is funny to think he is only 22 even now.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair shout. Either way it is funny to think he is only 22 even now.
Archie is the one that gets me he seems to have been around forever and he's only just turned 23

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Archie is the one that gets me he seems to have been around forever and he's only just turned 23
Jack is closing in on 100 league appearances and Archie is closing in on 150 league starts and yet, for some reason, in my mind I still think of all that group of players who came through together as young kids.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, also very true. Shows how we have bedded in these players to turn them into really good footballers and capable of playing at league one imho.

I do think (Obviously our squad size will be factor when injuries strike like within Central defence at the moment), but i believe the group of players will become stronger as the season goes on. Just gotta hope we keep them together.

Andy_H

Jack is closing in on 100 league appearances and Archie is closing in on 150 league starts and yet, for some reason, in my mind I still think of all that group of players who came through together as young kids.
I think that it's called 'old age', it comes about when you see your club Captain leading the team out and you think that he's the Match Mascot! Mind you, you can take nearly 2 years out of the equation for Covid when most of the World stood still.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
So what now for Jack Sparkes? Things have turned down significantly since the end of January. Before then City were unbeaten in Jack's 5 previous games (4 starts,1 sub). Being picked regularly by Caldwell and City doing well.

Then both Mitchell arrived and also Jack got subbed on 26 minutes -v- Charlton. Mitchell has been great, especially yesterday. The subbing -v- Charlton came after Jack not defending well for one of their goals. His behaviour showed public frustration, whether at being subbed or his own performance.

Since then only one appearance and that as a late sub. Sometimes not even in the 18 when fit.

Out of contract in the summer. I think it would be a shame/waste if he left. Overall his defending may not be up to League One standard but how about a more forward role, such as one of the number 10s? His trickery and strong shooting may be worth a try there.

fred binneys head

Not got the pace for that role in my opinion.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
So what now for Jack Sparkes? Things have turned down significantly since the end of January. Before then City were unbeaten in Jack's 5 previous games (4 starts,1 sub). Being picked regularly by Caldwell and City doing well.

Then both Mitchell arrived and also Jack got subbed on 26 minutes -v- Charlton. Mitchell has been great, especially yesterday. The subbing -v- Charlton came after Jack not defending well for one of their goals. His behaviour showed public frustration, whether at being subbed or his own performance.

Since then only one appearance and that as a late sub. Sometimes not even in the 18 when fit.

Out of contract in the summer. I think it would be a shame/waste if he left. Overall his defending may not be up to League One standard but how about a more forward role, such as one of the number 10s? His trickery and strong shooting may be worth a try there.
He's far too one footed to progress much further and I would imagine a career in Leagues 1 and 2 or Scotland are pretty much all he can hope for. I do also wonder how far Jake Caprice could have gone if he could play with both feet.

Bridgy 81

He's far too one footed to progress much further and I would imagine a career in Leagues 1 and 2 or Scotland are pretty much all he can hope for. I do also wonder how far Jake Caprice could have gone if he could play with both feet.
I’m not sure being predominantly one footed comes into it.
I don’t think Hartridge is especially good with his right pin or Sweeney, Cheick, Archie, Kite etc on their left one.

Rosencrantz

I have been thinking the same, and did say that when Key was being tried in that role. I think Jack has the close technical ability and threat with that left foot around the penalty area to be considered. Pace doesn't come into as much in that position, see how well Archie did it against Cambridge, and also when you have a left foot capable of coming up with that goal against Harrogate when chopping inside from the left...

Jack did play as centre forward for the u18's and I think would be much more of a goal threat than others in our squad playing a more forward position. He has good strength and can attack the penalty area well in the air which is something we don't have at the moment. I think it could be worth an experiment.