• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I've heard some nonsense in my time, but this takes the biscuit...

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Perhaps we can ask the red legion to chant the half time scores? ;)

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't see the issue with having the half time scores read out. Seems a bizarre decision, from the club, unless they have had lots of complaints about it

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think everyone knows a lot of the scores, but not necessarily how every game in, say, League Two is going.

However, if that's the case then it makes even less sense for the match day announcer not to go through them.

In all seriousness, has anyone ever been to a professional football match where they've not given out other scores for fear it may spoil someone's viewing of Match of the Day?!
I've been to plenty of games (not necessarily in England), where the scores are not given over the tannoy, but you are instead directed to the score board or 'big screen' for the latest scores. I know a lot of clubs don't have those facilities, but those that don't want to know the scores don't look at the screen...

LL

geoffwp

I'm not sure I agree Egg. Yesterday I watched the first half of Norwich- Liverpool at home - 2-1 at half time. Then went to my local match. I deliberately chose not to use a mobile device. As I was leaving the ground the tannoy said Norwich 4 Liverpool 5. If I had recorded the second half to watch it as live.....

People who want to know the scores can do so. As things stand people who want to avoid the scores can't. This decision gives both groups a free choice.
Earplugs are a great invention. Let's hear it for tradition!

Alistair20000

I quite like to hear the League 2 latest scores; especially when the Gargs are losing. Not too many League 2 games to record and go home to watch later. Announcer could always tell those who don't want to listen to cover their ears. Or use earplugs as Geoffrey suggests.

Last edited:

Robert S

It did not make much difference to me in the Main Stand, I could not hear the scores the team or any announcements on the useless Loud Speaker System.

WXF

I very much agree with club. Few things more fun on a Saturday than to watch the highlights not knowing the other scores. Freedom and choice are increased if we aren't told the scores because, with the current state of communication technology, most people can find out the scores very easily, should they wish. Very good move.

iscalad

The only interest I have in the PL is to watch MOTD (well maybe my crap fantasy team) so I do NOT wish to hear PL scores. Football League scores I'm not that bothered with. Good on the club. (y) Anyone who wants to know how their favourite tams got on can use their smart phones.

Last edited:

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
The only interest I have in the PL is to watch MOTD (well maybe my crap fantasy team) so I do NOT wish to hear PL scores.
Says he who was riding high at the start of the season... :)

Colesman Ballz

Says he who was riding high at the start of the season... :)
Can we revert to the old system with boards beside the pitch with spaces A-Z for HTs to be slotted into ? Anyone not wanting to know the score, just doesn't look at the code in the programme, and the Club might make a bit of extra dosh, by selling extra programmes to those who do = win win scenario ! :)