• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I've heard some nonsense in my time, but this takes the biscuit...

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Firstly, I'd like to make clear, it's not my wish to shoot the messenger.

Be that as it may, I couldn't quite believe what we were told by Mark Tyler at half-time yesterday and am surprised it hasn't prompted more of a reaction – though, then again, given the issues with the tanoy it may simply be that no-one heard it!

In any case, Mark said that the club has taken the decision to no longer give out any scores [at either half-time or full-time] because some people prefer to watch Football on Five / Match of the Day without knowing them.

I've been going to football matches for 30-plus years and, prior to yesterday, can't recall a single occasion when the home club has seen fit not to announce the scores elsewhere.

I appreciate you can keep abreast of the scores via your mobile these days but, even so, I'm staggered the club has elected to stop doing something I'd wager is done at every other professional football club in the country on the basis of what I can only assume is a handful of people, or less, suggesting it.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Everyone knows the scores now without being told - it's old hat.

andrew p long

I'm not sure I agree Egg. Yesterday I watched the first half of Norwich- Liverpool at home - 2-1 at half time. Then went to my local match. I deliberately chose not to use a mobile device. As I was leaving the ground the tannoy said Norwich 4 Liverpool 5. If I had recorded the second half to watch it as live.....

People who want to know the scores can do so. As things stand people who want to avoid the scores can't. This decision gives both groups a free choice.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Everyone knows the scores now without being told - it's old hat.
I think everyone knows a lot of the scores, but not necessarily how every game in, say, League Two is going.

However, if that's the case then it makes even less sense for the match day announcer not to go through them.

In all seriousness, has anyone ever been to a professional football match where they've not given out other scores for fear it may spoil someone's viewing of Match of the Day?!

cityregular

I know the tannoy is poor but with the very best in the country we on the big bank would still not hear it!! Is it necessary for that terrible DIN from the drums etc. to start before the kick off? From my knowledge NO ONE on the big bank area heard even the team read out, as for the emergency sound we would have no chance! Not a word was heard & thats no exaggeration.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I think everyone knows a lot of the scores, but not necessarily how every game in, say, League Two is going.

However, if that's the case then it makes even less sense for the match day announcer not to go through them.

In all seriousness, has anyone ever been to a professional football match where they've not given out other scores for fear it may spoil someone's viewing of Match of the Day?!
Why wouldn't they know the league 2 scores ?

Just check your phone Egg it's 2016

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure I agree Egg. Yesterday I watched the first half of Norwich- Liverpool at home - 2-1 at half time. Then went to my local match. I deliberately chose not to use a mobile device. As I was leaving the ground the tannoy said Norwich 4 Liverpool 5. If I had recorded the second half to watch it as live.....

People who want to know the scores can do so. As things stand people who want to avoid the scores can't. This decision gives both groups a free choice.
But that's the point, it's almost impossible in this modern age to avoid finding out what the scores are until late at night. If you hadn't heard the result of the Norwich versus Liverpool game at the ground, you'd almost certainly have stumbled across it elsewhere

Moreover, when it gets to the final home game of the season and we need to win while someone else has to lose to secure a play-off spot, you'd prefer not to know how the other team has fared so you can look forward to the dubious pleasure of watching the drama unfold on Football on Five? Perhaps the match day announcer could also request that those in the crowd who do know the results elsewhere don't indulge in any outward displays of emotion lest they give the game away.

If the club's change of policy is based on some compelling evidence that the majority of those at SJP don't want to know the scores from elsewhere then I might be persuaded to change my mind, but I can't help thinking it's altogether more likely one or two individuals have suggested it and on that basis the club has elected to stop doing something that's been done at every home game for the past 50 / 60 years, if not longer.

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why wouldn't they know the league 2 scores ?

Just check your phone Egg it's 2016
Not sure what network you're on, but mine is decidedly patchy at the Park.

That aside, why should I have to? What evidence is there that the majority of those present at SJP don't want to know the scores from elsewhere?

Antony Moxey

Yep, agree Creds. Even if you don't check there's someone nearby having a conversation with their mates about scores that you can't help but overhear. It's nigh on impossible to avoid the scores if you're at a match these days.

Regarding our tannoy, seriously I have to say it's a darned sight clearer than Liverpool's. I genuinely couldn't hear anything other than a deep bassy din and couldn't tell whether he was speaking actual words or just humming into the mike. Utterly dreadful.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep, agree Creds. Even if you don't check there's someone nearby having a conversation with their mates about scores that you can't help but overhear. It's nigh on impossible to avoid the scores if you're at a match these days.
Precisely. And if you don't hear them at the match, you'll overhear someone talking about them on the bus home or when you flick through the radio / TV channels, etc.

So, what logical reason is their for the matchday announcer not to give them out?!