• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ITV Broadcast Spurs v City

ryancooper327

Apologies if this has been posted before, delete if it has!

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably the most one sided edit of a football match in the history of televised football. :(

IndoMike

Probably the most one sided edit of a football match in the history of televised football. :(
Good point. Didn't show any City attacks at all. Not the fault of the poster, though.

Dannyred

That was an amazing shirt.

Watch the little man, was he on about steve perryman?

PeteUSA

While I dont usually criticise referee's, the referee that day Neil Midgley was the biggest 'homer' any player is likely to meet. In the second minute, Spurs keeper Barry Daines clearly brought Peter Rogers down for what was a definite penalty. Rogers had played the ball forward, and Daines misjudged going down for the ball, grabbing only Rogers legs! No penalty said Daines! If that wasnt a penalty if never seen one.

Another contentious decision, or lack of it, was that high boot to Ian Pearson's head: Nothing given! Back in those times that action would have been a straight sending off for dangerous play: fat chance! Then there was Midgley constantly refering to Spurs players by their first names. I know that that alone amazed Peter Hatch. Midgley was out to impress on his first outing to White Hart Lane and he wasnt letting little Exeter City spoil his day.

All that said, Midgley died at just 58 in 2001. It still doesn't help me get over his display that day though. RIP

iscalad

Didn't ITV issue an apology the following week?

Tim Long

Something along the lines of "the teaboy did the editing". When City pushed it out on video there was a "what the highlights should've been" section. Assume 'twas the same when he DVD came out.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
ITV in dreadful football coverage SHOCK!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes they did.....I remember coming home and looking forward to enjoying seeing again our performances and their coverage which I had recorded. Needless to say I was bitterly disappointed.

We had given Spurs a game and it was not until Pearson, our playmaker, was taken out the game (I believe it was Miller) that it really started to swing in their favour. Perryman in happier days admitted we had them worried. There is little doubt in my mind had the draw been kinder and it had been played at SJP we would have been in the semifinals.

PeteUSA

We had given Spurs a game and it was not until Pearson, our playmaker, was taken out of the game (I believe it was Miller) that it really started to swing in their favour.
Indeed, us losing Ian Pearson was a definite turning point. And as I said above, Miller knew full well that he would kick Pearson in the head when he played that high ball. He was virtually looking at him when he brought his foot up!