• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

It's been a while - yay or nay

contrabombarde

Haha, fair point :) I've been paid by the word for too long to settle for a three letter answer.

Sorry. Felt like a bit of a rant. TBH I *do* get the frustration - and I even understand the slightly illogical desire to change managers for the sake of it - but having seen more than my fair share of clueless City sides, miserable City relegations and stupid City financial crises, I'm strongly against unsettling what seems to be a stable, quietly effective, managerial set-up.
I'm not sure whether you are very persuasive or that I am gullible (probably a bit of both) but you have turned me around. Please change mine to Yay! A great considered post.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I even understand the slightly illogical desire to change managers for the sake of it
Surely you cant accuse the disgruntled fans of this? Its not like we have had say four managers in the last twelve months? On the whole i think we are one of the most patient set of fans in the FL, We know the pitfalls of bad owners, bad financial decisions and the like but in L2 what is important is to try and get a decent home form so we get people through the turnstiles, We dont get £££££££ for TV deals, We rely on the product on the pitch being worth going to see and in turn will spend when we are there. An for the last few seasons it has been not there and for anyone to disagree are living in cloud cuckoo land

Antony Moxey

I even understand the slightly illogical desire to change managers for the sake of it.
You don't, because it isn't. People don't want change just for the sake of it - FFS he's been here eight years, it would hardly be on a whim - people want change because he steadfastly won't. That's why, for the fourth season running, we've been utterly woeful at home with barely a handful of decent results or performances as a result. To maybe have one season is a blip, two a bit of a concern, but to continue down the same, unerring path with the inevitable same results shows a lack of thought, care, sense of responsibility or accountancy.

That's why people want a change of manager, not just for the sake of it.

elginCity

That's why people want a change of manager, not just for the sake of it.
Unless you have a specific replacement lined up, or in mind, any calls for change of manager would be just for the sake of it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Easy Yay for me. This is not to say I don't understand the concerns of those who attend home matches week in week out, if I were in that boat I'd be expecting more bang for my buck too.

manc grecian

Nay from me.

Bored of waiting for this young energetic side he's meant to be building.
Bored of his signings and lack of imagination with transfers
Bored with the safety first mentality especially at home
Bored of the people suggesting the whole world will collapse if he moves on
Bored of the whole complacent nature of the club.

malcolms

Unless you have a specific replacement lined up, or in mind, any calls for change of manager would be just for the sake of it.
Of course it isn't, it's a suggestion that the current status quo isn't "good enough" and the suspicion that there may be something "better" out there.

IndoMike

An obvious yes.

And I’d suggest that the majority of people sensible enough to understand the dreary fact that Tis is probably delivering good results with limited resources - except his own hefty wages - have long since departed Exeweb.

Even if (for some mental reason, possibly linked to emotional instability and too much time listening to angry Spurs fans from Paignton on 606) we’re no longer crediting Tis with taking us out of the Conference while selling around £300,000 of players as a non league club - then doesn’t the following show somebody broadly delivering decent results while selling around £3,000,000 of players?

14/15 to date - 13th highest gates in L2 - pos 10th
13/14 - 12th highest gates in L2 - pos 16th
12/13 - 11th highest gates in L2 - pos 10th
11/12 - 15th highest gates in L1 - pos 23rd
10/11 - 14th highest gates in L1 - pos 8th
09/10 - 14th highest gates in L1 - pos 18th
08/09 - 8th highest gates in L2 - pos 2nd

Every single manager - EVERY ONE - who has managed City in Division Four / League Two over the past 30 years has faced a struggle at the bottom of the league. Peters (albeit with decent form eventually) McNab, Cornforth, Blake, Fox, Cooper, Appleton, Iley - eight of them. How unlucky we must be to have employed those eight failures, and now a ninth manager who, having won promotion from this division before, has forgotten how to win promotion from this division. I am Grecian. Woe is me.

And how foolish we are to stick with that manager and allow him to try to build something sustainable, or to firefight in a crisis (like last season and the start of this) from a position of stability, even if he does appear to be doing a bit better than everyone who's done his job over the last 30 years. Why would we do this? Duh, mad eh?

If only we could change managers every time the fans get bored and decide that it is quite simply time for a change. We could be in the strong position that Hartlepool are in. They won at St James Park didn’t they? They looked good. Let’s be them…

You seem to think that if the fans are bored, and I believe many would say they have been extremely bored over the last 4 seasons, that it is of little concern, even though many fans make a considerable effort and financial investment to follow the team at home. I know you do a lot for City, and have even helped to sponsor players, but I'm afraid for me your post seems high on the pomposity scale. By the way, why do you automatically assume that only Tisdale can be City's manager (despite the results and standard of play). You don't think there's anyone out there who could do better? Why would you think that? Managers come and go and there's no proof that a passable manager can't be replaced by a better one.

Last edited:

hatch4england

Crockford's post is so selective in its approach, it isn't worth commenting on. All it shows is that there has been no improvement whatsoever over the average, except in terms of the quality of the product which has waned considerably. Brian Godfrey's team may (?) not have had a much better record overall (except in the Cups... which I note are omitted from the comment), but they were a hell of a lot more fun to watch. There again, watching paint dry is a lot more fun to watch that the average home game, as dozens have commented.

Do you really not think this hasn't negatively impacted on attendances? Ours, of course, don't need to be as high as other to give the same financial muscle as we are just about the most expensive club in the division to watch...

The large majority of the people I know (self included) who had season tickets have given them up. I don't even look at the fixture list before I book trips away anymore.

The club's finances are not stable, nor is their any indication that the present board know how to achieve that. One lucky sale isn't a substitute for a proper strategy and execution.

In the meantime, the ground continues to deteriorate.

In what other line, perchance would any European business stick with a regime that has had this long to do this little?

A change may not be for the better, but we've had more than long enough to know the status quo isn't working, so the relative risk seems worth taking. IM is right.

Last edited:

LOG

I guess that we’re ignoring all of the practicalities of getting rid of him and not considering that he might be replaced by Paul Buckle, in which case…

I say keep him but, and this may have already happened, serve him notice. That way he can still be here next season which would give both us and him a chance to re-evaluate but, if nothing changes, we’re in a far stronger position to give him the boot. If he doesn’t like being served notice or having his contract shortened and decides to walk, then so be it. After all, he wouldn’t be able to argue that we hadn’t shown commitment after 9 years, several of which have been pretty dour and would have seen him sacked elsewhere (rightly or wrongly).

He’s demonstrated that he can building a winning side, but that just hasn’t happened for too long now, and the problem that’s been gradually creating is that it’s affecting gates and, as a direct consequence, we’re losing money we call ill afford to. Allowing him at least one more season will give him the chance to perhaps try to do something about that but, if served notice now, also allow the balance of power to come back towards his employer which is where it should have been all along.

Please note that i reserve the right to be less tolerant if we start the first game of next season with four players over 35.