• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

It could have been Paul Gascoigne!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wasn’t it Gaza that those jokers Russell and Lewis decided to go by plane to talk to, but changed their mind and didn’t catch the flights they had booked?

(this is entirely a dim recollection so may be entirely wrong!)

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
One thing we can be absolutely sure of is it would've been very, very brief. He joined Kettering a couple of years later and I am not sure he even lasted as much as a month due to the drinking. And the man appointed here instead of him in 2002, Neil McNab, didn't see out the season.

It was such a mad time at Exeter, and probably best for the poor bloke's wellbeing that it never happened. Oddly, though, it may well have been better for Exeter had Gazza joined, because it would probably have been such a car crash that it may have accelerated the arrival of Gary Peters. McNob was awful and doomed us that season, whereas Peters brief spell at the tail end saw us pick up 20 points from 13 games - almost rescuing us with what was just about play-off form. An interesting little counterfactual.
Probably just as well we went down though - the club would probably have folded had R&L had another year at the helm.

Legohead

Banned
Wasn’t it Gaza that those jokers Russell and Lewis decided to go by plane to talk to, but changed their mind and didn’t catch the flights they had booked?

What?! They were going to fly all the way to Palestine just to talk to a footballer?! ;):D

Incontinentia

Knowing Russell and Lewis, they tried to book the flights on a stolen credit card and it got blocked.

Northants Grecian may well be right that the Conference spell did us good in the long term, and possibly saved the club, although Russell and Lewis had been trading while insolvent long before the trap door opened, and I am doubtful Football League survival would've meant they'd stayed another year - Mowlam and the Inland Revenue were closing in, and they'd have been groping for the ejector seat button after May anyway.

exeips

I'm not sure how much truth is in it but I was told Jan Molby was lined up as our manager after Cornforth left and Mcnab was going to be his assistant. Molby changed his mind at the last moment leaving Mcnab to take the job.
Probably complete rubbish to be fair! 😁

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I heard Paul Merson on a podcast and he told a story about how when he and Gazza were at Middlesbrough they used to play a drinking game to pass the time. They drank red wine and took sleeping tablets and the last one to stay awake won. Merson seemed to think this was hilarious.