• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is this the most entertaining team we've seen?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
When I lived in Brazil they used to replay World Cup matches from the 1970s in their entirety quite often and the England game they won 1-0 (with the famous Banks save) was a favourite. Watching it I was astonished at how much football the national team played on the floor with weighted passes, Cooper and Ball in particular were players I never associated with that. We abandoned that stuff pretty quickly in the later 70s and 80s when aerial balls and headers became the normal route to goal for England. Pele has described a lot of English players in very complimentary terms, I think he liked the individuals in that team.
He really respected Bobby Moore and the fact that we were sporting : we didn't try to kick him off the pitch. Even Maradona said
that he could only have scored that second "wonder goal" against England : other teams would have brought him down.

IBA

When I lived in Brazil they used to replay World Cup matches from the 1970s in their entirety quite often and the England game they won 1-0 (with the famous Banks save) was a favourite. Watching it I was astonished at how much football the national team played on the floor with weighted passes, Cooper and Ball in particular were players I never associated with that. We abandoned that stuff pretty quickly in the later 70s and 80s when aerial balls and headers became the normal route to goal for England. Pele has described a lot of English players in very complimentary terms, I think he liked the individuals in that team.
I noticed the same things in respect of a more possession football/weighted passes whenever I have watched clips of the games, I also thought that with the weather being about 40 degrees this may have also have been a factor!

IBA

Yes we are now officially the most entertaining team ever again!
We are making the Brazil 1970 World Cup team, look like Torquay United under Paul Buckle!!

Grecian Max

Yes we are now officially the most entertaining team ever again!
We are making the Brazil 1970 World Cup team, look like Torquay United under Paul Buckle!!
You’ve got this thread bookmarked haven’t you :ROFLMAO:

Grecian Max

Checks stats... oh highest scorers in England

andrew p long

December seems like a long time ago now...

December seems like a long time ago now...
Doesn’t it just

Banksy

Doesn’t it just
And in answer to the thread title.No we’re not by a country mile.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
And in answer to the thread title.No we’re not by a country mile.
However, we know though that we are capable of playing some good football. I'm grateful that the one game that I've been to this season was the thrashing of Tranmere Rovers.

Red Bill

There was a reason that this thread arose in the first place. We need to remember that we were playing exciting football and scoring for fun earlier in the season, those players haven't suddenly become bad players and there's no reason why that early season form can't be recaptured. For whatever reason, injuries, constant squad rotation, a winter at SJP or whatever, our form has dropped away recently and our star players have also lost form. Doesn't mean we're out of it for good though. This is however a proper test of Matt Taylor's management and I think we'll know more about him come the end of the season.