• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is this the most entertaining team we've seen?

IBA

This thread encapsulates how fickle and how generally reactionary football fans really are. One minute we are the most exciting Exeter City team in the last 50 years and the next we are the opposite. Sort it out Exeweb.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I mean... we haven’t actually played that much. I still think that team is there but has been massively hampered momentum wise by postponements...

WXF

This thread encapsulates how fickle and how generally reactionary football fans really are. One minute we are the most exciting Exeter City team in the last 50 years and the next we are the opposite. Sort it out Exeweb.
I think that's harsh. In addition to the numerous postponements, we have stopped playing 4-2-3-1 and moved to 4-4-2. Teams often come undone by being too attacking, but I think our earlier approach was worth it because, although it left us more exposed, it got more out of the squad. We have also lost Williams, who while not hitting heights of last season, is still a top league two player.

andrew p long

of course the timing of the OP coincides with us having dished out a few hammering.....but since the day OP we haven't won in over a month.

Should we blame the OP and all the positive responses for tempting fate:unsure:?

Grecian Max

of course the timing of the OP coincides with us having dished out a few hammering.....but since the day OP we haven't won in over a month.

Should we blame the OP and all the positive responses for tempting fate:unsure:?
I say hang him

Grecian Max

I'm also gonna say... we were looking good before those hammerings anyway, we've generally played good football up until the turn of the year.

I've streamed a few other L2 matches including FGR, Salford, Newport and Orient - I genuinely believe we are better than all of those. Salford in particular are over hyped this year.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The 89-90 team never lost at home, thread closed.
I saw us lose 7 times away from home that season when I was living in Sheffield. Never saw us win once. However, all the games were entertaining (I seem to remember a 5-4 defeat at Scunthorpe and maybe a 4-3 at Peterborough), and that team was really something to watch, with the overlapping Hiley and Vinnicombe like modern day wing backs (in the style of their manager Terry Cooper who was a bit of a ball player as a left back).

However, football is different now. In those days midfielders were not so rigourous in tracking back and were often left in acres of space when they received the ball. Players like Collins, Taylor and Atangana rarely get a moment to think when they're on the ball as this is the part of the pitch where modern day managers concentrate on pressing and pressurising players into making mistakes. I find watching games interesting these days as much for the power balance in the game in terms of who is smothering who better, even though it isn't pretty to watch. The games where we have played really well this season have been when we have got in front and the other team has been chasing the game, which has left space on the counter attack to exploit. It doesn't mean we can't play like that again although I do think the threat of Randell Williams draws defenders away from other parts of the field, as I said before he got injured.

IBA

I think the OP was a bit premature

Grecian Max

I think the OP was a bit premature
About to turn 34, thought I was over that

ryancooper327

I think the team earlier on in the season were more exciting than this one.