• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Project 6000 and sustainability in L1 compatible with selling our "Gems"?

Matt Phillips

It's not just about recruitment, but also allowing a path for more academy players to come through. If we'd have kept JMT, would Hartridge have had the space to emerge? At some point, will Nombe/Jay need to leave to give room to Cox?

I think that the club have to sell when players are at their most valuable, or at least before their value starts to fall off a cliff. If we had held on to Randall and he'd have left for a fee (or tribunal amount) next summer, the Club would have been reckless. In a smiliar vein, when Randell turned down moves the summer before, I'm sure the Club were furious. If Key doesn't sign a new deal with us, then he's bound to be off either this coming summer, or in January if we get an exceptional offer.

The Club is still in a transition stage given all the investment in the Cliff Hill, but once that's over, I'd hope we seem a continued improvement in our recruitment, as we don't have to divert finances away from the playing budget.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we continue to sell our best talent mid season then we won't be going anywhere and project 6K will fail.

Same would apply to us trying to be an established league one club.

From reading that interview that isn't the first time Taylor has said something along those lines which personally feel is starting to be counter productive towards project 6k but of course I can't welcome his honesty one moment then moan when he says somthing i find annoying.

The one question I have to others posters is and it sort of fits in with this thread:

If push comes to shove how far are you willing to see the club go to either:

A: Deliver promotion this season?

B: potentially make us an established league one club?
I think this too, We now have a new thing in the last couple of years or so is that talent from smaller clubs get picked up far quicker than they use to, Its like they don't get a full season before they're snapped up. We have no benifactor, The club are borrowing money to complete a much needed improvement to the C&F (From the Trust but its still a loan) MT's interview, If it wasn't suppose to come over like that then perhaps our media people could have a quiet word or a bit of "Coaching" on interviews?

I personally believe that we should become a established L1 club and the sooner the better, It will give us more chance of keeping our gems for a bit longer, When they leave and we replace them, The quality of replacing them will be L1 standard at least to give us a chance of staying up, Like MT said, We have to stop being the "nearly club" of L2.

SaintJames

The club are borrowing money to complete a much needed improvement to the C&F (From the Trust but its still a loan)
I may have misread it but I thought the Trust 600k was an 'insurance policy' if the club's finances needed a bridging loan as such in between when payments might be due as a short term measure if required? AS opposed to a loan because the club doesn't have the money? I stand to be corrected

Colesman Ballz

I may have misread it but I thought the Trust 600k was an 'insurance policy' if the club's finances needed a bridging loan as such in between when payments might be due as a short term measure if required? AS opposed to a loan because the club doesn't have the money? I stand to be corrected
Exactly like my interpretation SJ, although others seem to bend the the facts to suit their own point of view ! :)

ExmouthMart

To sustain where we are now and at the same level we need to keep processing young players through the First Team to maintain the budget for going forward. The knock on from this is the windfall from these transfer fees enables us to sign players like Nombe and Brown on wages that we probably couldn’t usually afford. The added bonus of this is we hopefully sell them on at a profit and the cycle begins again but its all dependent on the academy producing players who can play at a higher level and a regular number across the seasons as well. Anyone who thinks we are going to generate the necessary funds under any scheme or whatever is kidding themselves. To increase the fan base is solely based on success on the pitch and if you keep selling anybody and everybody to the first club who matches our valuation we are going nowhere fast and will eventually hit a wall. We will never be in a position to say no we just don’t have the money to back no up. It’s not a case of just being negative either. I think this team is one of the best we have had for awhile but I get the feeling it might not last to fulfil its potential and it’s not helped by Taylor with his fire sale interviews. Its the worst thing about supporting City nowadays you know anyone decent will be moved on at the first opportunity because of the necessity to find the money to keep going. It’s a vicious circle.

i8cornwall

You're not alone there Saint I had assumed it was a loan from the trust to the club from the way I read it but as you say happy to be corrected.

Not that it matters as in reality it's still "Exeter city's" money if that makes sense.

DB9

Exactly like my interpretation SJ, although others seem to bend the the facts to suit their own point of view ! :)
If it were an "insurance policy" then I apologise, I genuinely thought it was a loan which was needed. I guess if it were a loan then asking the fans/trust is far better than getting it from an outside source.

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't it in the cashflow produced?

Last edited:

StudentGrecian

"To this we have added our prudent assessment of the likely level of future (unconfirmed) fees. The forecast fees for the next four transfer windows total just over £1m, significantly less than the amount anticipated by the First Team Manager."

Why are we forecasting 4 transfer windows ahead, the project will have to be paid for by the end of second window will it not?

Seems our new project leaves us with no option but to sell £1,000,000 worth of our gems between now and end of August 2022. But also states MT envisages us selling considerably more than that...

tonykellowfan

To sustain where we are now and at the same level we need to keep processing young players through the First Team to maintain the budget for going forward. The knock on from this is the windfall from these transfer fees enables us to sign players like Nombe and Brown on wages that we probably couldn’t usually afford. The added bonus of this is we hopefully sell them on at a profit and the cycle begins again but its all dependent on the academy producing players who can play at a higher level and a regular number across the seasons as well. Anyone who thinks we are going to generate the necessary funds under any scheme or whatever is kidding themselves. To increase the fan base is solely based on success on the pitch and if you keep selling anybody and everybody to the first club who matches our valuation we are going nowhere fast and will eventually hit a wall. We will never be in a position to say no we just don’t have the money to back no up. It’s not a case of just being negative either. I think this team is one of the best we have had for awhile but I get the feeling it might not last to fulfil its potential and it’s not helped by Taylor with his fire sale interviews. Its the worst thing about supporting City nowadays you know anyone decent will be moved on at the first opportunity because of the necessity to find the money to keep going. It’s a vicious circle.
The problem is that to a certain extent the power rests with the player. We can't give 18 years olds 5 year contracts, so quite a few of the players like Key who break into the first team are on 2 or 3 year deals. This means that truthfully if we get a decent offer for a player who has 1 year left on their deal we have to take it. There is too often a belief that players cannot be replaced, but we lost Bowman, Williams and Randall from last season and we were able to replace them. We have to pragmatic, none of the players who have gone through the club in recent years (watkins, ampadu, grimes etc) could realistically have been kept by us.