• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Project 6000 and sustainability in L1 compatible with selling our "Gems"?

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Our Academy has produced millions in talented youngsters who the club have benefitted in but we still are where we are on the pitch, Which is L2, Off the field we are unrecognisible to what we were, A really good looking stadium, A training ground that has plans to vastly improve things there, A Social Media platform that is so good and during lockdown has been a real lifeline between the club and fans, we need now to concentrate of the playing side but how do we do this. The improvements off the field have really taken the whole time the Trust has been in charge, nearly 20 years".

An interesting assessment, which is both measured and rational. A few comments if I may?

You are correct in saying that off pitch improvements have been notable, but then you go on to suggest that there has been no concentration on the playing side. I beg to differ.

When the Trust took over, in September 2003, pretty well everything at the club was a shambles in the wake of the Rusell & Lewis tenure. We were in the Conference (National League a now is) and it took five years and x3 managerial appointments to get us out of it. Eventually, we did get out and, within just one season, had progressed to League One, at one point being on the verge of the L1 playoffs. We stayed there for 3 years. Because of our elevation we began to attract more attention and could not hang on to many of the players that had got us out of the Conference (including our current manager).

Now, the argument is that we are having to part with players, from our academy in particular, that could get us promoted. As has been said by others, not as quickly nor as readily as was once the case. Promotion, as was shown, brings it's own challenges, not least of all head hunting by clubs even higher up the pyramid with a stash of cash. We will lose players regardless. Then they have to be replaced and their replacements will cost.

You also seem to suggest that improvements on the non-playing side should now be scaled back to shift more resources to the playing side to retain academy graduates and recruit better generally. Fair comment. However, I don't know how long ago you were last at the training ground but, yes, the improvements have been significant, but, the buildings still date from 1974 and are crumbling, costing significant sums to be maintained. Then there are the portakabins. Yes, the synthetic pitch looks great, the training pitches better than ever, but imagine a prospective player arriving at the Cliff Hill and seeing and entering the sub standard buildings that are barely fit for purpose. Yes, to a degree it's aesthetics but, unfortunately, it will put some players that have no knowledge of our history, off. The club/Trust is trying to rectify that and not everything can be done at once.

Yes nearly 10 years and we're still in L2 but many elements of the club are so much better, including the level of professionalism. I started watching City 55 years ago and, frankly, we went nowhere on, or off, the pitch for darned nigh 37 of those years.

Yes, it's frustrating, bloody frustrating, but hang on in there. The best is yet to come! 👌😉🙂
It has been years since i was at the C&F, The improvements I've seen are mainly in the background when we have videos up of interviewing new players, Showing training etc and it is better and the new plans revealed a few months back look exciting and would improve things so much, I'm not saying to scale back that, We do need that, My own thinking is that because of our trust model we have had to move slowly purely because we didn't have the finances, Had awful credit with people and it took nearly 20 yrs to get where we are, That was not a dig, That was because of what went on before etc My view on concentrating on the playing side is that i now believe we are a club that looks up instead of over our shoulder but to continue that, Get promoted and stay there, The team needs to be improved to an extent that when players come to see the club when thinking about signing they see the players we have are there to keep us in L1 comfortably, facilities are good (Which they are) and the plans to improve them, Its called selling the club to players. PS Pete, This is no slight on the club/Trust etc, It is light years ahead of what it once was.

I said in the OP this was about opinions/views and there would be loads and I'm glad they are being shown on here, Whether we all agree or not, We do all want whats best for ECFC and also i hope it moves from the Transfer Rumour Thread to here so it can be discussed and Hants won't be saying on the other thread "Stay on Topic" ;) (y)

Last edited:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've mentioned before but I'll do so again here. The academy will obviously produce some players that will go on to bigger and better things. The academy will also produce many players that won't make the grade with us and will get released.

But IMO the most important academy products are the ones that aren't the out-and-out superstars. If we can produce one or two each year that are good players for the level we are at then we'll be very well off.

I recall last season many were dismissive of Archie's chances of progressing beyond League 1. Well, if that were true, isn't that exactly the type of academy product we need? One that may be in our first team for three, four or five years?

I've mentioned before but I'll do so again here. The academy will obviously produce some players that will go on to bigger and better things. The academy will also produce many players that won't make the grade with us and will get released.

But IMO the most important academy products are the ones that aren't the out-and-out superstars. If we can produce one or two each year that are good players for the level we are at then we'll be very well off.

I recall last season many were dismissive of Archie's chances of progressing beyond League 1. Well, if that were true, isn't that exactly the type of academy product we need? One that may be in our first team for three, four or five years?
Agree with that Archie is a great example…and IMO a very good League 2 player…and the good news is he’s got brothers coming through the academy 👍

Banksy

Your paragraph two is a good one and makes a fair point.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Pete…good comment. However do you not think it’s a catchy monkey situation? Look at Bradford for e.g…great facilities, great stadium big fan base. They are stuck in League 2 because they can’t generate enough of a budget to get the players to get them out of League 2. How about Wimbledon they like us are a fan owned club who have rised through the leagues without having the excellent academy like we have….or sold millions of pounds worth of young talent. It is frustrating, as a fan you do question things!
I get what you're saying, but think about the catchment area of each of those clubs. Persuading young players to come and sign for us is probably a job in itself. That is another thing that, personally, I think holds us back a bit. Another reason why our academy is so important? Loans are a different kettle of fish of course.

Pete without trying to shoot you down, that one comes out a lot-the geographical area we are in. However we are not in Mars! We are 2 hours away from London on the train nowadays and only 2 and a half hours from the midlands. Exeter isn’t a remote part of the country.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pete without trying to shoot you down, that one comes out a lot-the geographical area we are in. However we are not in Mars! We are 2 hours away from London on the train nowadays and only 2 and a half hours from the midlands. Exeter isn’t a remote part of the country.
you are indeed correct but 95% of league clubs in between

fred binneys head

Exeter isn’t a remote part of the country.
Only if you’re from Exeter 🤣

ExmouthMart

I think you take it as a given that everyone associated directly with the running of Exeter City FC is ambitious and that goes for all the players, especially the young ones. Everyone if they are honest knows that playing for Exeter gives you an opportunity to move on to better things. Selling the young players gives them an opportunity to play in better teams at a better level and reap the rewards that comes with that. From the Clubs perspective it gives us money to survive and continue.
Without massive investment we are never going to sustain football at a higher level. So you need to cut your cloth accordingly and accept that we are a decent League Two/ National League Club with our set up. No amount of initiatives are going to generate the income to sustain a year on year improvement of promotion etc. Finding, developing and selling on young players is and will continue to be our main source of income unless one of us wins the Euro millions or a billionaire suddenly takes a fancy to us and wants to chuck money at us.

I think you take it as a given that everyone associated directly with the running of Exeter City FC is ambitious and that goes for all the players, especially the young ones. Everyone if they are honest knows that playing for Exeter gives you an opportunity to move on to better things. Selling the young players gives them an opportunity to play in better teams at a better level and reap the rewards that comes with that. From the Clubs perspective it gives us money to survive and continue.
Without massive investment we are never going to sustain football at a higher level. So you need to cut your cloth accordingly and accept that we are a decent League Two/ National League Club with our set up. No amount of initiatives are going to generate the income to sustain a year on year improvement of promotion etc. Finding, developing and selling on young players is and will continue to be our main source of income unless one of us wins the Euro millions or a billionaire suddenly takes a fancy to us and wants to chuck money at us.
Yeah mate cause Wimbledon haven’t sustained League 1 status? fan owned club. No academy like ours…