• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it time for serious changes at the club

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
There are plenty of examples of people who have made large fortunes being altruistic but supporting ECFC is unlikely to be on their list of the good causes to benefit from the largesse.

The only hope is for Lez to float Exeweb for billions
Exeweb is up for sale for the right price...

if anyone buys the club I assume the charity side of it will come as its a package, I assume that could be a way for a rich person to be philanthropic whilst building a business with the club as a return

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any League club where the ladies play week in week out on the same pitch as the mens?

We have to be honest in our thoughts about aspects of the club being financially viable as our club is a business and monies need to be spent to enable survival.. I still believe there will be at least 20 clubs dicing with going broke and disappearing from the leagues forever during the Corona outbreak.. so to be savvy with our costs and keep us financial viable is far more important than pushing something that doesn't have its own revenue

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OP. A simple question that warrants reasonable and straightforward responses.
Rae, DannyRed has brought this on himself by his confrontational attitude and continual implication that anyone who doesn't agree with him is sexist, in the pocket of the club, a dinosaur or all three.

I don't think anyone who posts on here is any of those things (well perhaps in some cases the dinosaur bit...). We simply think he is wrong, and post reasoned arguments to support that. DannyRed rarely engages in this, except to repeat the same stuff, then disappears only to return in a while to repeat the process like a Star Trek time loop.

The thing that is wrong with the OP is that we have discussed this issue endlessly on Exeweb, in the Trust Board meetings and AGMS, and in Forums held at the Club.

There is ample evidence that (a) the fanbase don't want to move (b) there is no need for a larger ground (c) the costs would be prohibitive and (d) there isn't a suitable site in Exeter.

Unless someone comes up with a proper, reasoned case why all four off these are wrong or can be overcome, I for one will be very hard on continued attempts to stir us up by harping on about it.

Legohead

Banned
S

Shows the folly of thinking that simply chucking a shed load of money at a problem will resolve it.
Exactly Alistair. My point is really that success CAN be achieved by smaller clubs chucking money at a situation but for most who do go down this route they end up still being in the bottom 2 divisions anyway (or worse) so what's the point in taking the risk when we could get some degree of success without breaking the bank or getting into serious debt?

Yeovil had a season in the Championship. They are now in the National League. Burton Albion are perhaps one of the best run small clubs i know of and they too had a bit of limelight in the Championship without spending huge amounts to get there. It can be done.

Clubs like Doncaster and Rotherham have new stadiums and have short stints in the Championship but despite significant investment they both are in League 1. Rotherham looking to go back up to the Championship of course but even then, for how long? League 1 is about the level of both clubs whether they like it or not. Same as Burton.

Obviously you can be a traditionally smaller club and get to the next level Championship and beyond and develop and stay there but this takes a huge amount of cash from investors and this isn't likely to happen much more in the current climate i feel.

Clubs like Wigan, Hull and Swansea back in the 90's were all in crumbling grounds playing in front of crowds of about 4000. It's taken significant investment from benefactors to get them the success they had and whilst they are all now in the Championship, i wouldn't necessarily say that any of them were in a strong position financially.

Progress can be made but no need to change at all to achieve it.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is there any League club where the ladies play week in week out on the same pitch as the mens?

We have to be honest in our thoughts about aspects of the club being financially viable as our club is a business and monies need to be spent to enable survival.. I still believe there will be at least 20 clubs dicing with going broke and disappearing from the leagues for ever duding the Corona outbreak.. so to be savvy with our costs and keep us financial viable is far more important than pushing something that doesn't have its own revenue
I think you may be right.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Now then Mr Ed, you can keep on advising the exeweb massive until you are horse but I think you'll find it does have a mind of its own.
Hay, that's fair enough. Didn't mean to nag.

Alistair20000

At the risk of Lionel boxing my ears for going off topic this amused me

Rosencrantz

There was a bloke with these credentials with the Chipnickers, sadly he has passed away, but his 'altruistic' investment has seen them relegated and his legacy is a bench named after him. It's not a simple case of throw money at it as it's much more complicated than that otherwise every Club would be in the Premiership
Kind of the point I was clumsily trying to make. It would take an unlikely turn of events to happen even to get to the stage of questions having to be considered. Even then there would be a strong resistance to change unless the current ownership had slipped back into serious mismanagement which as supporters we have a much more direct way of stopping and implementing change than the supporters at the majority of other clubs through the Trust (see Tisdales contract).

In the unlikely event of an acceptable person being found it still isn't the panacea some make out. But we have seen before on here there are people who would like to see quick fixes and change that they feel would shoot us up the league's in the name of lack of current ambition that are easier in the writing than the implementation.

It's easy to forget that being ambitious is what the club are being now, using money gained to increase the budget over a substantial period of time to give us a better chance of promotion. At the same time, they were not risking the viability of the club in the long term, there is a fall back position. The key is to continue to find ways to make that fall back position more substantial as time goes on...another thing easier to write than implement 😉.

IndoMike

Now then Mr Ed, you can keep on advising the exeweb massive until you are horse but I think you'll find it does have a mind of its own.
Mr. Ed? Horse?
Have you been watching some old Yankee TV show repeats, Geoff?

IndoMike

Rae, DannyRed has brought this on himself by his confrontational attitude and continual implication that anyone who doesn't agree with him is sexist, in the pocket of the club, a dinosaur or all three.

I don't think anyone who posts on here is any of those things (well perhaps in some cases the dinosaur bit...). We simply think he is wrong, and post reasoned arguments to support that. DannyRed rarely engages in this, except to repeat the same stuff, then disappears only to return in a while to repeat the process like a Star Trek time loop.

The thing that is wrong with the OP is that we have discussed this issue endlessly on Exeweb, in the Trust Board meetings and AGMS, and in Forums held at the Club.

There is ample evidence that (a) the fanbase don't want to move (b) there is no need for a larger ground (c) the costs would be prohibitive and (d) there isn't a suitable site in Exeter.

Unless someone comes up with a proper, reasoned case why all four off these are wrong or can be overcome, I for one will be very hard on continued attempts to stir us up by harping on about it.
Well considered post