• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it time for serious changes at the club

C j phill

Pizza is probably a good illustration of where I think some of those wanting change are coming from.

Should we sell pizza in the refreshment huts. At another club the person responsible would be asked if it was feasible and if it was would get on and make it happen.

At our club I guess they fear that this would be discussed at length at a TB meeting with a feasibility study being produced to aid that discussion.

Not sure where the truth of this example is.
Completely wrong. I dont understand why there is a lack of understanding about the Trust's role at the Club. It is governance, not day to day operational. The Trust Boarc would have no discussion, either at length (or short) about such issues. The day to day running decisions rest with the Club Board and even the example given above wouldn't reach the Club Board, it would be taken at operational management level.

If Ed, or anyone else, has any suggestion for generating significant amounts of income, they simply need to produce a business plan of their proposal, properly costed, with validated data, and send it either to the Club Board chair or Club Chief Operaying Officer, for consideration. I'd hope that if any such proposal were submitted on this basis, and it had substance to generate additional income, it would be undertaken by the Club. Rather than post on Exeweb, just go ahead and do it. You wont know the outcome, until you try.

i8cornwall

So people go to the footy for different reasons. It's not all about the win for some but for you it is and that's absolutely fine. You have little interest in the community stuff and I and others feel great pride and great interest in how our club operates within the community.

This is why I imagine making decisions is so difficult for a trust board. You can't please everyone.
Is probably true, you also have to factor in that I spent a large part of my time involved with stuff with the club and the Trust through the RL which has left me some what disillusioned with our current set up and the feeling of not being any different to a fan of say Argyle who have very little say in how there club is run.

Legohead

Banned
Is probably true, you also have to factor in that I spent a large part of my time involved with stuff with the club and the Trust through the RL which has left me some what disillusioned with our current set up and the feeling of not being any different to a fan of say Argyle who have very little say in how there club is run.
I take your point i8cornwall and fwiw I do understand how you feel. I felt that way about Torquay United as a fan of theirs for over 15 years. Just called it a day in the end. You can't help people who won't help themselves. It's very frustrating and can make you disillusioned and like giving up. Which is what I did and I am so happier for it. I'm not saying I know the ins and outs of the club as you do from being involved but i'm a far happier and far more satisfied with how Exeter operates than Torquay has/is.

I'm one of the fans who doesn't particularly care about results a massive amount. I care about the whole ethos of a club and how it contributes to the lives of supporters and it's local community. When you have an owner at Torquay who, despite many attempts to get him to discuss the role of the TUST at the club continues to refuse then I for one am grateful Exeter have a trust that at least is prepared to listen if not take any action about certain things.

If you have an owner / board who are unwilling to engage and listen to fans then those fans can never be heard.

This maybe how you feel about Exeter at the moment. I don't know but if we are to compare ourselves with the likes of our rivals Torquay and Plymouth. It's a no brainer. This club cares about it's fans at it's core and that is the primary reason why results aren't necessarily a priority for me. I want to feel part of my club and respected as not just a fan but a paying customer.

I don't necessarily want a say in how the club is run but what I do want is for those who run the club to value my support and my commitment to the club. ECFC do so in many ways. Torquay for many, many years didn't and still wouldn't be if I was still a TUFC supporter. It's just a shame it took me so long to wake up to this fact.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I mean... for me you support you local club and fight for it when it's right, other times you can enjoy the football. You don't abandon and choose another club. Can't get head around that at all.

Grecian Max

Good post max, trouble is by the time you feel able to get involved you'll be village hall too!😁
Hahaha sadly probably true!

LOG

You've said something along these lines many, many times but, as far as i've seen, never put any meat on the bones.

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity, but are you willing to do that?

Legohead

Banned
I mean... for me you support you local club and fight for it when it's right, other times you can enjoy the football. You don't abandon and choose another club. Can't get head around that at all.
Just because you can't get your head around it doesn't mean it's wrong. People do what they see fit in a given set of circumstances.

Things change.

Without being me you can't ever know what I fought for and what I didn't.

I knew I should have picked Liverpool lol

ex_user1234

Resigned
Completely wrong. I dont understand why there is a lack of understanding about the Trust's role at the Club. It is governance, not day to day operational. The Trust Boarc would have no discussion, either at length (or short) about such issues. The day to day running decisions rest with the Club Board and even the example given above wouldn't reach the Club Board, it would be taken at operational management level.

If Ed, or anyone else, has any suggestion for generating significant amounts of income, they simply need to produce a business plan of their proposal, properly costed, with validated data, and send it either to the Club Board chair or Club Chief Operaying Officer, for consideration. I'd hope that if any such proposal were submitted on this basis, and it had substance to generate additional income, it would be undertaken by the Club. Rather than post on Exeweb, just go ahead and do it. You wont know the outcome, until you try.
I'm afraid to say you are completely wrong, not Hants. The Trust occupy four places on the Club board and have their fingers in every pie. The Trust rules supreme.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Indeed, we did, based on the challenges the club faced at the time and in the light of a credible proposition being presented.

However, my response was to Danny's original post which suggested that your club could/would not progress further under trust ownership.

Given that it's likely that several clubs will not survive the current hiatus, and that a large number of others will find themselves going through painful and long-term restructuring, I'd expect your relative standing to be significantly better coming out of this than it was going in.
I don't disagree that our relative standing may improve. I just think it's a bit odd to sell the virtues of being a fan-owned club on here when your own club decided to ditch that model. Unless of course you were in the 20% who voted against Eisner taking over?

geoffwp

I'm afraid to say you are completely wrong, not Hants. The Trust occupy four places on the Club board and have their fingers in every pie. The Trust rules supreme.
Of course it goes, thank goodness eh?