• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it just me?

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Or is Exeweb filling up with completely clueless muppets this season??

The number of idiots talking about the lack of quality and/or effort from our players last night is a complete joke!!

WTF is going on here?!?!

Seriously, let's look at the facts and put this into perspective.............

Last night, Liverpool put the following players on the pitch:

Reina - £6m (rumoured over last few seasons to be moving to various clubs with fee in the region of £20m)
Suarez - £23m
Henderson - £16m
Downing - £20m
Carroll - £35m
Adam - £7m (rising to £8.5m)
Meireles - £11m
Skrtel - £6.5m

Total of the above = £124.5m

Exeter put the following players on the pitch that cost something:

Archibald-Henville - £50k

And that's it.

If you were to estimate our total gate income in the league since 1980, you would get something like:

31 years x 23 games x 5000 average crowd (probably over-estimate) x £10 average entry price (bit of a guess, but probably not far off) = £35.65m

So, last night, just 8 of Liverpool's squad cost 3 and half times our likely TOTAL GATE INCOME FROM ALL OUR HOME GAMES IN THE LAST 31 YEARS!!!

Play with the figures a bit and it's still ridiculous.

Yet some see fit to moan.

Just get bent the lot of you.

H

AndyB

What he said.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree entirely; I'll just repost what I said on another thread:

"Those criticising City don't understand the game, Liverpool are a top, world class, team and even making some changes are so good they would have beaten all but the top half dozen of the PL last night. Don't forget they beat Arsenal 2-0 at the Emirates on Saturday!

Added to that City lost their most creative player after 1/4 of the game, had only one half-fit experienced striker who was told not to risk injuring himself and then got criticised for being "lazy" (FFS!), had a player suspended leading to a patched up defence and still gave Liverpool a good game of it for most of the 90 minutes."

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can we turn this thread into a 'best factor showing the disparity between the clubs'.I'll start (or join in!)

Our first sub was a free transfer teenager who'd never played League fooball before.Their first sub was the most expensive English footballer ever.

One of our players I pay nearly £20 a month to help pay his wages.He got dispossessed by a Liverpool player of the same age who they paid nearly £20m for.

Our bench of outfield players -excluding Logie carrying an injury- had a grand total of one league start between the 5 of them. Liverpool's bench cost them about £75m.

Herschel

You could possibly take it a step further and potentially argue that the value of their squad is more than we have ever earnt in gate receipts in our ENTIRE HISTORY...................(if you include people like Gerrard, etc.)

Herschel

Can we turn this thread into a 'best factor showing the disparity between the clubs'.I'll start (or join in!)

Our first sub was a free transfer teenager who'd never played League fooball before.Their first sub was the most expensive English footballer ever.

One of our players I pay nearly £20 a month to help pay his wages.He got dispossessed by a Liverpool player of the same age who they paid nearly £20m for.

Our bench of outfield players -excluding Logie carrying an injury- had a grand total of one league start between the 5 of them. Liverpool's bench cost them about £75m.
Excellent idea.

I'll add more - Andy Carroll gets paid more for last night's 70-minute appearance than we paid for Troy.

Cravat 2

Indeed. You could pay our wages for a season with a couple of weeks of Andy Carroll's wages.

Insane when we're only two leagues apart and it just shows how ridiculous the Premier League is.

Last edited:

downthetrack

Dalglish wants to win that cup,proved that last night

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
....and I think they will have a very good chance of doing so.

Andy_H

Edited for factuals;

Dalglish always wants to win ANYTHING, but he ain't going to win the Devon Bowl or the JPT, this year!

Andy_H
In sunny and beautiful Helsinki. You'd love it here Mr P.