• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ipswich Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

I see that the weekly assessment of refereeing decisions on Sky by Chris Foy suggests that the penalty given against us on Saturday was incorrect. Was Demetri's booking for simulation also a correct decision? As for the referee, I hope he enjoyed the Ipswich celebrations, although he cannot be faulted for the result, of course.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see that the weekly assessment of refereeing decisions on Sky by Chris Foy suggests that the penalty given against us on Saturday was incorrect. Was Demetri's booking for simulation also a correct decision? As for the referee, I hope he enjoyed the Ipswich celebrations, although he cannot be faulted for the result, of course.
Where/when is this weekly assessment on Sky of refereeing decisions? (Foy is of course right about the penalty, dreadful decision)

Sky Sports Football - 'Behind the whistle '. Not sure if a programme on Sky Sports Football or just a weekly article on their website. An internet enquiry will find all the information, I think.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought both decisions were the sort where it would be interesting to see the same incidents with the shirt colours reversed.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
I saw both of those - two six goal hammerings in a week.

Worst scoreline for me was 7-1 away at Scunthorpe in the 80s. Presumably quite a few people saw the 8-1 away at Villa in the League Cup!
Yep, I was one of the unlucky few at Villa Park that night, didn't help that we were already 4-1 down from the first leg and they hit another six in the first half. The only small consolation was that in those days I could walk home from Villa Park in 10 minutes!

Martin Weiler

We stayed over in Ipswich for two nights. Ipswich I discovered is England's oldest town but apart from the gentrified Marina Ipswich didnt have much to enjoy. We headed over to Bury St Edmunds which was a real gem. Given we hadn't played Ipswich in the league in my lifetime and given the unlikely chance of it happening again I'm still pleased to have chalked Portman Road off my list!
I thought Ipswich, especially the older parts, was interesting enough. But the real gem was Christchurch Park - a public Park since 1895. It’s a 33 hectare site and is right by the town centre. I see that the Ipswich promotion parade will take place in the park on Monday. The park used to be owned by the Cobbold family, former owners of the football club. There is a display about their football links in the park.

35356DC1-7F1E-4F82-9E71-457854025910.jpegA4A014D5-0D10-40C8-BACB-FF42E22109AF.jpeg

Bridgy 81

I thought Ipswich, especially the older parts, was interesting enough. But the real gem was Christchurch Park - a public Park since 1895. It’s a 33 hectare site and is right by the town centre. I see that the Ipswich promotion parade will take place in the park on Monday. The park used to be owned by the Cobbold family, former owners of the football club. There is a display about their football links in the park.

View attachment 11543View attachment 11544
Nice photos Martin.
I regret missing out on visiting the park in Ipswich, partly I suppose because we weren’t staying in the town and also because we didn’t hang around long after the match either.
But Suffolk is a lovely place, if rather a long way from here.
We enjoyed being based in Felixstowe, which is a pleasant seaside town with an interesting old military fort we visited (Landguard) next to an enormous container port.
We had breakfast one morning at a cafe where you can watch the ships coming and going and being loaded up.
Bury St Edmunds was nice too and has the poshest Wetherspoons I’ve ever seen.
We also went to nearby Ickworth House and Framlingham Castle.
A very enjoyable trip, perhaps slightly ruined by going to a football match.
I can’t see us playing Ipswich again anytime soon so I’m thinking about who else we are up against or maybe next season which is close enough to get to if we stayed in Suffolk again.
Cambridge would be handy if they stay up, or maybe Peterborough or even Stevenage!
But looking at the teams coming down from the Championship and some likely to be coming up from League Two I suspect we’ll be heading north on more than one occasion next season, just for a change.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice photos Martin.
I regret missing out on visiting the park in Ipswich, partly I suppose because we weren’t staying in the town and also because we didn’t hang around long after the match either.
But Suffolk is a lovely place, if rather a long way from here.
We enjoyed being based in Felixstowe, which is a pleasant seaside town with an interesting old military fort we visited (Landguard) next to an enormous container port.
We had breakfast one morning at a cafe where you can watch the ships coming and going and being loaded up.
Bury St Edmunds was nice too and has the poshest Wetherspoons I’ve ever seen.
We also went to nearby Ickworth House and Framlingham Castle.
A very enjoyable trip, perhaps slightly ruined by going to a football match.
I can’t see us playing Ipswich again anytime soon so I’m thinking about who else we are up against or maybe next season which is close enough to get to if we stayed in Suffolk again.
Cambridge would be handy if they stay up, or maybe Peterborough or even Stevenage!
But looking at the teams coming down from the Championship and some likely to be coming up from League Two I suspect we’ll be heading north on more than one occasion next season, just for a change.
Bridgy if you're up that way again get up to Southwold. A lovely seaside town, with character (and a brewery!). Lavenham also worth a visit, especially if you're a fan of Lovejoy..

Bridgy 81

Bridgy if you're up that way again get up to Southwold. A lovely seaside town, with character (and a brewery!). Lavenham also worth a visit, especially if you're a fan of Lovejoy..
Thanks for the Lavenham tip denzel I've not been there but I have been to Southwold a couple of times already.
Last time I think was on my Colchester away trip last season but as that was a winter game it was chilly on the coast!
As you say Southwold is very nice.
We looked in a few estate agent windows, just out of curiosity, but as we suspected the prices there are far too rich for us!
If you've been there in recent times you may have seen the fabulous Under the Pier Show.
It's a small place on the pier with unique and weird arcade type machines designed and made by someone called Tim Hunkin.
It's free to enter but the machines are about a quid or two to have a go on.
He has one other similar place in central London.
Check it out if you've never been before or have a look online.
It's really good fun - well at least I think so.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
For those that missed out on a programme. You'll need to give them a ring