• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ipswich Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not looking forward to going out tonight.
Hope your'e not due to go out in that place 40 miles W of the Fairer City of Exeter like some of us .............. I suddenly feel ill !
UTC

Information

It's a good old fashioned ground to visit
They have now scored 99 goals

Information

I think their first 4 shots went in the net

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry, not in a good mood terrible result.
Having a consolation pint in my local thinking, young team, Ipswich on a high, nothing season. When in walk a set of c***s intent on celebrating Slimes promotion, my stomach turned to jelly I felt physically sick.
Returned rapidly home and sat in the garden with a bottle of beer; Even the f***ing blackbirds were singing GREEN AaaaaRMy!!!
Shit day😔

Pete Martin (CTID)

Ipswich have lost 4 games all season, FOUR. They are a very, very good outfit. They beat Charlton 6-0 two weeks ago. Their goal difference is +66. It was effectively Championship v L1 today. No disgrace at all. Onwards and upwards!
👍
🙂

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Firstly. Today was entirely predictable. The last 3 games you cannot particularly judge anything against, so therefore there is not to much discussion around the specifics to be had, because we are missing a huge chunk of our first team. Today even with our first team completely available, I think we would have lost 3 or 4 anyways. Today sounded terrible and seems terrible in every sense. But Ipswich are an insane side and imho will be pipped to the title by imho the best side in the league in Argyle (I hate saying that, but imho Argyle are the best side in this league, Just hope they collapse next season in the Championship).

I do think GC's performance across his tenure hasn't been great, but he has done the bare minimum to deserve a chance to re-build the side for next season, but I am literally expecting a massive relegation battle and hoping we survive by the skin of our teeth, because I cannot see GC's style or his tactical / management ability working with what will probably be a much weaker squad (It is going to take an insane summer, of the ilk of 2021 to see us comfortable mid table again, not in just recruitment, but also in retention). But lets wait and see what happens, 10-15 games into next season will be the sign of where we are heading, I really hope it is in the right direction. Imho We are a much easier side to play against Under GC than MT / KN, because we just do not score enough goals under GC.

In its own weird way, next weeks game against Morecambe is really vital we get 3 points and end the season on a positive note.

Last edited:

Bridgy 81

Good things about today:
Lovely weather.
Very pleasant sitting in Ipswich marina pre-match eating my Tesco meal deal lunch.
Nice combination of a modern and traditional stadium.
Historic place too with Alf Ramsey and Bobby Robson as manager (both honoured with statues) and many great players I remember from the 70/80s who graced that pitch.
Lively atmosphere (as you’d expect in the circumstances).
Although I was there on my own I randomly met several various other Exewebbers and Senior Reds.
Enjoyable walk along Felixstowe seafront as the sun went down this evening.

Less good things about today:
We were never in the game from virtually minute one and it was very difficult to watch at times.
Although we were missing a number of vital players we didn’t even give ourselves a chance.
Conceding five in the first half an hour of any game shouldn’t happen.
Ipswich town centre isn’t up to much.
And nor was this evening’s Chinese takeaway.

Neither good nor bad but interesting:
As others have said Jevani was there. I didn’t speak with him as it looked like he was with family or friends.
But plenty of others approached him for selfies etc and he seemed to take it all in good humour.
I stood next to him at one point and was surprised by what a slight frame he has.
Just goes to show how much skill he has to stand out the way he does during matches.

Grecian Max

I haven't seen Scott play this season. On paper he looked a poor signing; seen nothing to counter that.

Hartridge has struggled to make the leap imho. He's had some real shockers.

I didn't think Caprice would make the grade in L1 and I was proved right.

Sweeney, thanks for all the fish mate, but I think it's time.

Nicholson, I wasn't sure about, but he was cracking when he played. Problem is - he's not getting any younger.

Joe White, flash tricks and turns, little end product.

Williams - I can't work him out. He's a touch or finish away from being a brilliant player, but has flaws. Could go either way.

Caldwell is going to have a busy summer. His mettle will be tested up to xmas.
Did AI write this?

Topsham Boy

Firstly. Today was entirely predictable. The last 3 games you cannot particularly judge anything against, so therefore there is not to much discussion around the specifics to be had, because we are missing a huge chunk of our first team. Today even with our first team completely available, I think we would have lost 3 or 4 anyways. Today sounded terrible and seems terrible in every sense. But Ipswich are an insane side and imho will be pipped to the title by imho the best side in the league in Argyle (I hate saying that, but imho Argyle are the best side in this league, Just hope they collapse next season in the Championship).

I do think GC's performance across his tenure hasn't been great, but he has done the bare minimum to deserve a chance to re-build the side for next season, but I am literally expecting a massive relegation battle and hoping we survive by the skin of our teeth, because I cannot see GC's style or his tactical / management ability working with what will probably be a much weaker squad (It is going to take an insane summer, of the ilk of 2021 to see us comfortable mid table again, not in just recruitment, but also in retention). But lets wait and see what happens, 10-15 games into next season will be the sign of where we are heading, I really hope it is in the right direction. Imho We are a much easier side to play against Under GC than MT / KN, because we just do not score enough goals under GC.

In its own weird way, next weeks game against Morecambe is really vital we get 3 points and end the season on a positive note.
Ipswich are a better team than the GAWS. Odds on they will finish higher than than the GAWS next season. Plymouth….horrible city, nothing in common with the rest of Devon. Team in similar vein.

fred binneys head

Where to start with today? I knew from the line up that we’d get battered and said as much before the game, but I didn’t think it would be quite as bad as that. Borges, Kite and Kegs were out of their depth against top quality opposition, we were playing a 4-4-2 for some reason, we had nothing up top and our defending was shambolic, in front of a statuesque goalkeeper. Otherwise, all good.

The atmosphere in the away end was amazing in the circumstances, I simply don’t believe that any other set of fans would have been as loud and as supportive when 6-0 down after 50 minutes. It was outstanding. Yes there were some dissenting voices, including a c**t behind me, but overall it was great and we were warmly applauded and given a standing ovation by the Ipswich fans when the attendance was announced.

Shame our players couldn’t come and clap us at the end due to the pitch invasion, but well done to Stanno and Jack who sprinted over to us at the final whistle to give us a quick clap before they had to run down the tunnel, thanks lads, genuinely appreciated 👍

To then hear that argyle had been promoted was a kick in the nuts, as was hearing about Brentford’s 94th minute winner that ruined my accumulator.

Still, a successful season and great news from the horse’s mouth in the away end about Jevani staying with us next season (allegedly).

Geddon City.