Internet strike...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
All but the English language (main version). The mobile version and all the other language versions are working.

I just tried it - the home page was fine, but as soon as I went to look for anything, the dark screen came up.

Bittners a Legend

All but the English language (main version). The mobile version and all the other language versions are working.

I just tried it - the home page was fine, but as soon as I went to look for anything, the dark screen came up.
All you have to do is click the cross next to refresh, or stop, depending on what browser you are using as soon as the page loads up...and it won't go dark. Pretty basic really.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
I think people are missing the point here!
Quite. Yes the protest is easy to circumvent, but try to pick up on the message. State-wide censorship is bad, state-wide censorship in the hands of corporations is absolutely awful.

Plus it's the USA. There's no way this doesn't end up getting used to suppress criticism.

It's just a shame there's nothing we can do about it here in the UK, especially given that it'll affect the entire world.

Last edited:

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
But my point is, do you think the strike will work and also, are the US govt being stupid, in trying to censor public speech?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Quite. Yes the protest is easy to circumvent, but try to pick up on the message. State-wide censorship is bad, state-wide censorship in the hands of corporations is absolutely awful.

Plus it's the USA. There's no way this doesn't end up getting used to suppress criticism.

It's just a shame there's nothing we can do about it here in the UK, especially given that it'll affect the entire world.
It's not "censorship", it's fighting crime.

Do you think we should just let shoplifters get away with it, or should there be a crime called "theft" to deal with it?

This is exactly the same thing, just done via computers rather than via going into shops and nicking stuff.