• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Internet Explorer technical help please

Daughter of I_M

I have a problem with my Internet Explorer. If I have a couple of tabs or windows open then clicking on the X makes the whole internet say it's not responding. This means I always have loads of tabs and windows open.
Also if I try to open, I think it's a pdf thing, such as to view a job description, this also make the internet completely shut down.

It's starting to bug me and I can't find anything on Google or anywhere else that has a solution to my problem.

Help!

Last edited:

mammooman

Could be one of many things. I expect you have too many processes going on taking up too much ram but probably don't realise it as they are going on in the background. But could also be a bug of fault, or even the computer is finally packing it in. Have you noticed it slower on other things other than t'internet?

Firefox is much better anyway, get that! Even the logo looks better!

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
What OS you on and when did you last clear your temp files?
Also, which version of IE are you using?

Last edited:

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
What OS you on and when did you last clear your temp files?
Also, which version of IE are you using?
Yes clear them files and use firefox

Tada

Daughter of I_M

Deleted temp files. What's OS? And no idea of IE version.

It just shuts everything down when I click one X. Bloody strange. It's fine with anything that's not internet.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
What's OS?
Operating system: Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista etc.

And I'll add my name to the list of people suggesting Firefox. It's FREE and better, safer, quicker than Internet Explorer. You really do have NOTHING to lose by trying it.

Daughter of I_M

I used Firefox ages ago and had no end of problems.

Vista. Which I've heard is a bad thing? I don't know it's my Dads computer! I just use it because it's in my bedroom and Dad uses his lappy. It's not dying, it's not that old. There's just some kind of problem internet wise.
How do I get Firefox if I want it anyway?

Grecian2K

Deleted temp files. What's OS? And no idea of IE version.
At the risk of a GIANT whoosh here...

OS = Operating System....ie Vista, XP, Windows Millenium Edition +o( ;)

IE Version = Find "Help" and you should get an option saying "About Internet Explorer". This should pop up a window giving an idea of your version. (Note: Anything EARLIER than 5 and I fear a trip to PC World tomorrow for you, young lady [n])

Another thought - what AntiVirus are you running? Some of those can cause the PC inexplicable panic attacks too

Swanaldo

How do I get Firefox if I want it anyway?
Google 'Firefox' It'll be the first page you see.

Or click here if you are feeling lazy :)

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Swanny beat me to 1)

And, although I have Firefox, I have to admit :$ IE8 doesn't seem too bad - and it is a little more "user friendly" for some of the more "Corporate" sites (such as the Beeb)