• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
Strange argument Phil tbh .
Let me make things simple for you then. If someone starts with £10 and spends £2 a day it would take them five days to end up with £0. If they are adding a £1 each day to compensate for the loss of £2 a day then they are still losing £1 a day and it would take them ten days to reach £0. But they would still reach £0. It really isn't difficult to understand when you apply Year 4 maths to the problem?

Radio Free Skaro

If true, Surely unsustainable?

The number of Russian troops who have either died or were left wounded in the continuing war in Ukraine is nearing 200,000, according to a report that cited US and Western officials.
You seem to be making the mistake that Putin values Russian & Russian soldiers lives and that Russian values are the same as those of the West If you look at the history of Russia and the Soviet Union you will see that Russian lives are very expendable.

Views and insights of British/Russian comedian and commentator Konstanin Kisin on question time (0.57 onwards) on this issue are very interesting

(34) Konstantin Kisin on BBC Question Time - YouTube

DB9

You seem to be making the mistake that Putin values Russian & Russian soldiers lives and that Russian values are the same as those of the West If you look at the history of Russia and the Soviet Union you will see that Russian lives are very expendable.

Views and insights of British/Russian comedian and commentator Konstanin Kisin on question time (0.57 onwards) on this issue are very interesting

I know exactly what the Russians/USSR are like when it comes to the concern of their troops, They are nothing but cannon fodder to those in charge. Other than WW2 when the USSR were fighting their brutal war of anialation with the Nazis the Russian people will have a say in how this plays out, All the propaganda in the world will not stop a small trickle turning into a wave of discontent about losses, Especially those that were conscripted when only a year ago this "Special Military Operation" was just a news story, Now it will be affecting nearly every family in Russia. You only have to go back to the USSR campaign in Afghanistan of the 1980's to see how the Mothers of soldiers did put real pressure on the Kremlin.

I have no idea how long this will take but i'm certain it will happen, Putin is on borrowed time, This war is his war and those in the Kremlin know that, The Military know this also, I'd imagine he is "Living in Fear" and paranoid about everyone around him no matter what his propaganda machine troll out.

Phil Sayers

Even if Russia has unlimited manpower that they could and would throw into the fight (and for the reasons that DB9 says I don't believe that) you still seem unwilling to factor in that soldiers require equipment to fight with. Do you at least accept the basic proposition that, if equipment is being lost at a faster rate than it is being replenished, there will eventually be no tools with which to fight?

I mean no offence by this (and please let me know if I am a long way wide of the mark) but is there just a teency, weency possibility that you have a long held world view that requires, as an article of faith, that Russia (or at least countries aside from the US and its allies) be a World Power?

Phil Sayers

And here is some more for Radio Free Skaro to cheer - as all the videos I have posted today are from the last 24hrs or so (and there are many more that I haven't posted) he / she must have mounting excitement that the end of the great drought is in sight. The grandkids will be sat in rapt wonder at tales of how he could have had another couple of pints but barely moaned at all that his money was being put to better use:

DB9

Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, was laughed at in Delhi after saying the Ukraine war was "launched against us". So now the Russian narrative is Ukraine started this war. :rolleyes: The old addage of if you say something enough times, Even if it is a lie then it becomes the "Truth"

Alistair20000

Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, was laughed at in Delhi after saying the Ukraine war was "launched against us". So now the Russian narrative is Ukraine started this war. :rolleyes: The old addage of if you say something enough times, Even if it is a lie then it becomes the "Truth"
“My truth“ as is said these days.

DB9

According to the UK Defence Ministry, Russian reservists called up to fight in Ukraine are using shovels because of a shortage of ammunition.

Alistair20000

According to the UK Defence Ministry, Russian reservists called up to fight in Ukraine are using shovels because of a shortage of ammunition.

Hard to believe really.

Russia has never cared a fig for its soldiers.

DB9

Hard to believe really.

Russia has never cared a fig for its soldiers.
I know its only a film but at the start of Enemy At the Gates, That showed how Soviet conscripts were treated in WW2 at Stalingrad, Perhaps it was more truth than fiction? Also watching a documentary this morning it said 360k Soviet troops were killed or wounded in the battle for Berlin alone.