• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have little problem with Israel assassinating people trying to build a nuclear bomb it fears will one day be used against it. I have rather more of a problem with the IRGC trying to assassinate British citizens on British soil for criticising the Iranian regime. Only Jeremy Corbyn would think such things are the same (actually he'd probably think the Israeli actions are worse).

lamrobhero

The West is inextricably linked to the State of Israel and is happy for the State of Israel to act as its proxy. I guess that it gives implausible deniability. This means that any bombing of Iran or
State Terrorism is on us. It would be more honest if the West was open about this - I wonder what it is afraid of?

Phil Sayers

The above does not seem to address, or even attempt to address, that Iran is attempting to commit murder of British citizens on British soil solely because they criticise a repressive, murderous dictatorship. It would appear (and please correct me if I am wrong) that you believe that Iran should be absolved of any responsibility for its own wrong-doing because of some kind of incoherent whataboutism regarding Israel. Is that you Jeremy?

lamrobhero

The above does not seem to address, or even attempt to address, that Iran is attempting to commit murder of British citizens on British soil solely because they criticise a repressive, murderous dictatorship. It would appear (and please correct me if I am wrong) that you believe that Iran should be absolved of any responsibility for its own wrong-doing because of some kind of incoherent whataboutism regarding Israel. Is that you Jeremy?
My first post was a statement. My second post was a question which I think is interesting. Your responses comes from you not me, I'll leave you to argue with yourself.

DB9

Suicide with "multiple gunshot wounds"? :unsure: :unsure:

" A Russian colonel with close ties to Vladimir Putin, and who was involved in this autumn's mass recruitment drive for the army, has been found dead in his office.

Vadim Boyko, 44, had multiple bullet wounds when a junior officer found him in the Makarov Pacific Higher Naval School in the far eastern city of Vladivostok, where he was deputy director.

Local Russian media outlet Dalnevostochnie Novosti and TV journalist Vladimir Oshchenko reported that Mr Boyko committed suicide."

Phil Sayers

Erdogan is on the verge of throwing the Middle East into yet further chaos, death and destruction. Following the Istanbul bombing a week or so ago he is saying (may be right but there is lot of political capital for him in pointing the finger that way) that the perpetrator was from the PKK and had crossed into Turkey from territory in NE Syria controlled by the US backed YPG / SDF. He is not wrong that there are very close links between the PKK and the YPG in Syria which is highly unfortunate and was always going to result in severe fallout from the anti-ISIS operation as it is a bit like the US informing Israel that they intended to use Hezbollah to defeat ISIS and that as a result Hezbollah would control large parts of the border with the Golan Heights. Therefore, I do not entirely blame Erdogan for how he sees this and it would likely have been preferable if Obama had enlisted Arab Syrian rebels to fight ISIS rather than Syrian Kurds; something he did a little but was reluctant about because he (correctly) assessed the Arab rebels would not be able to resist trying to draw the US into a direct fight with Assad's forces in the process.

In any event the upshot from the Istanbul bombing has been a wave of airstrikes on YPG positions (and also killed over a dozen of Assad's troops to keep the rebels they back thinking that Turkey is on their side rather than just using them) in NE Syria over the last few days which is itself dangerous because the YPG share bases with US troops and the Turkish Airforce could be fired on by Russia in the process. That hasn't happened as yet but what has happened is that the YPG have (foolishly) responded by shelling Turkish border towns and have killed a number of Turkish civilians in the process. As a result Erdogan is stating a further ground offensive into Syria is imminently to be conducted by both the Turkish Army and the rebel groups that Turkey is backing. That is terrible by itself but the likelihood is a chain reaction of events. As the YPG / SDF redeploy north to confront that invasion it is probable that Iranian proxy militias will attempt to exploit the situation by attacking from the south to try and seize oil fields near the Iraq border. The US will not fire on Turkey (save in self-defence) but will most definitely engage Iran's proxy groups if / when they try something.

Phil Sayers

While Boris is not exactly renowned for his honest, reliable, complete and accurate witness testimony this is rather interesting and probably broadly true:

Phil Sayers

While providing three ancient helicopters (long since retired by ourselves) that will primarily be used for medical evacuation of wounded troops may not seem that important the significance is that it dips the first toe in the water by setting a precedent with regards the provision of Western aviation assets. Soviet / Russian helicopters have been provided by various countries but until now none of Western origin. Slowly inching closer towards F-16s etc (US Congress has authorised up to $100 million for training of Ukrainian pilots on Western fighter jets but, as I understand it, whether to actually do so remains Biden's decision rather than that compelling him):

Alistair20000

While Boris is not exactly renowned for his honest, reliable, complete and accurate witness testimony this is rather interesting and probably broadly true:

The Germans have hastily denied this and quoted the tendency of Boris to tell lies but like you I think this does sound broadly true.

Phil Sayers

An incredible number of destroyed and damaged (most probably beyond repair or they would be in factories being repaired) armoured vehicles that Russia has managed to recover from the battlefield and taken back just across the border:

(Also rather amusing to see that Ukrainians are well aware that Oryx is keeping the list I post from time to time...)