• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I still can't see how invading Ukraine is anything other than a very stupid thing for Putin to do. What will he gain by it? The downsides are enormous - Russian casualties, international sanctions depressing the Russian economy, personal sanctions against oligarch allies (long overdue anyway) etc. Comparing him to Hitler is ludicrous - Germany had plans to expands and the means to do it, whereas occupying parts of a bombed to feck Ukraine will add nothing to Russian security or prosperity; quite the reverse in fact.

I can understand the rationale behind sabre rattling, but if anyone can tell me a rationale for actually using these sabres I'd be very grateful

arthur

PS Putin might want to consider what happened to the Greek colonels in 1973 when they decided to invade Cyprus

iscalad

PS Putin might want to consider what happened to the Greek colonels in 1973 when they decided to invade Cyprus
I was on holiday in Athens at the time. Very scary times.

tavyred

With the Olympic ice hockey still undecided, will Russia invade?
Doubtful.

Spoonz Red E

I still can't see how invading Ukraine is anything other than a very stupid thing for Putin to do. What will he gain by it? The downsides are enormous - Russian casualties, international sanctions depressing the Russian economy, personal sanctions against oligarch allies (long overdue anyway) etc. Comparing him to Hitler is ludicrous - Germany had plans to expands and the means to do it, whereas occupying parts of a bombed to feck Ukraine will add nothing to Russian security or prosperity; quite the reverse in fact.

I can understand the rationale behind sabre rattling, but if anyone can tell me a rationale for actually using these sabres I'd be very grateful
Me neither.
I'm not sure how he'd handle thousands of Russian military deaths with his own populace.

Although history has shown enough examples of carnage due to trigger happy leaders with overblown swagger.

However this level of brinkmanship could serve in the longer term for him.
Republicans win midterms in the USA - lame duck Presidency.
Faultlines develop in the European/Nato posture.
Putin will play up the West as 'the boy who cried wolf' and stir it up with all the other culture war nonsense.
You can already see the gains he's made over the last few years with troll farms on social media, Fox News, QAnon republicans etc.

Then - possibly his big prize in 2024 - a return to international politics on a transactional level and carving up territories with the autocratic boy's club.

Oldsmobile-88

The Met are sending Putin a questionnaire....

Mr Jinx

With the Olympic ice hockey still undecided, will Russia invade?
Doubtful.
I didn't think Russia currently had a team (as such)?

Mr Jinx

Republicans win midterms in the USA - lame duck Presidency.
I don't think we need to wait 9 months. We're there already.

Spoonz Red E

I don't think we need to wait 9 months. We're there already.
Some stuff is getting through.
American Rescue Plan.
Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.
Rebuliding some structures which Trump let go of.

But you're right to some degree.

Democrats Manchin & Sinema protecting the filibuster despite 50 republican senators not wanting to support anything much.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Tobias Ellwood wants to send "British-led Nato divisions" to Ukraine. The man is obviously as deluded as the main character in Downfall. It is frightening that such low-functioning individuals are anywhere near the levers of power. This loon isn't fit to run a branch of McDonald's.

The Tories have an endless supply of such halfwits: Ellwood, Truss, Dorries, Fabricant, etc. They must have a breeding programme for them.