• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rat deserts the sinking ship.

Phil Sayers

Kyiv now has an effective, modern air defence 'bubble' protecting the whole city and its surroundings which is great news. Another couple of NASAMS on the way as well as German equivalents in the form of IRIS-T SAM batteries. Could urgently use one of these systems in Odessa which is being repeatedly bombarded by Kamikaze drones that Russia has sourced from Iran:

People in Odessa trying to down an incoming drone with small arms fire - they sometimes succeed but most of the drones are getting through:

More luck elsewhere in Ukraine using a short range missile on another such drone:

Mr Jinx

Interesting scenes outside the Iranian embassy in London and other parts of the country yesterday.

I do feel however that those type of protests are probably better off happening in Iran.

How do you think that's all going to pan out? Would be good to see some regime change over there although I see the protests being fairly easily quashed. And if we did see some sort of change there it'll be a case of welcome to the new boss...same as the old boss, but at least it might give those dissenters in Russia some hope.

tavyred

Russia closes it borders. Putin can’t see this out for much longer surely?

Banksy

Mr Jinx

I think there will be a tipping point. Just a question of when I think. Need the protests to expand significantly. Do their people have the bravery?

Phil Sayers

Russian State TV is angry about how the call up is going - the host has the traditional Russian solution to problems in mind.....

"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem."

Phil Sayers

I wouldn't be overly happy if I was press-ganged into fighting in a war and told that I should take some tampons along as they are the best thing available for bullet wounds.....

Phil Sayers

This is potentially interesting - I struggle to see what Russia would gain from effectively sabotaging their own future prosperity and nor do I see what any of the (handful) of countries capable of doing this would gain either but three simultaneous leaks across two different pipelines is one hell of a coincidence. Methinks this is most likely sabotage whether via cyber-attack or (more likely) a Navy being naughty with a submarine. The latter has been much speculated about in the context of e.g tapping trans-Atlantic fibre optic cables or else just severing the cables to cause utter chaos:

Phil Sayers

The prevailing theory is that this was indeed done by a Russian submarine and that the purpose is to illustrate they could do the same to other pipelines that are actually operational; particularly those off Norway.