• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I didn't go for the football...

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was reminded of this with Ethan going to Sheffield Utd but, in a thread which may be of limited interest, have you ever visited a football ground for non-footballing reasons?

I used to work for a company who sponsored Huddersfield-Sheffield Giants (as they were) rugby league team and four of us went to watch them get turned over by Leeds Rhinos at Bramall Lane. We went up to Sheffield on the Saturday and had a night out then the match was early Sunday afternoon. The ground was pretty empty but we were in hospitality and had a very nice roast.

My current employer hosted a corporate do at Villa Park in around 2010. We got to see quite a bit of the behind the scenes whilst setting up and then there was a stadium tour afterwards.

Both great grounds and both a real mix of old and new. Some parts of Villa Park that you wouldn’t normally see were really quite shabby and carpeted with something that looked like it had come from a grotty 1970’s pub. On the other hand, the player facilities drilled home just how pampered they were and the main hospitality restaurant was very smart. My trophy to take away was an Aston Villa pencil. Expensive tastes, me.

Mods - feel free to move as i wasn't sure where to put this.

fred binneys head

I’ve been to Huddersfield’s new ground (the Galpharm?) to watch Huddersfield Rugby League (don’t think they were called the Giants then) play Keighley (don’t think they were called the Cougars then).

StroudGrecian

In 1982 I went with Exeter Catholic Youth Club to Ninian Park to see the Pope. It was awesome.

Avening Posse

Do Rugby grounds that were occasionally used for football count?, if so a went to see Simple Minds play at Cardiff Arms Park in the late 80's

Colesman Ballz

Did anyone on here go to SJP to witness Michael Jackson's" parade and have the ballz to admit it ? :cool:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Had similar to you Log.

Once had a company meeting at Stamford Bridge in one of their corporate boxes. I detest Chelsea, as did a (now sadly deceased) former colleague who was the biggest Liverpool fan, so we took great pleasure in going out onto our box balcony overlooking the pitch at lunchtime and launching a crescendo of "who the farking hell are you" and "sh8t ground no fans" to an empty stadium.

Well we thought it was empty, Over the far side, there was a school group having a tour who we hadn't noticed. All I can say is that boy, does 2 people shouting echo in an empty stadium...

Happy Days

fred binneys head

That reminds me, I had one of my ‘do this driving course and avoid points on your licence’ courses at Vale Park.

Alistair20000

That reminds me, I had one of my ‘do this driving course and avoid points on your licence’ courses at Vale Park.
"One of my" :unsure:

Are you a serial speeder ?

Sergeant

St James Park, 3pm on Saturdays during the Noel Blake era.

Aside from that; 3 hours at The Kassam Stadium for a seminar on engaging with Subcontractors. It was exciting as it sounds.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saw Exeter RFC get trodden on by Richmond at a nearly-empty Madejski in the 90s. Richmond were big spenders in that era, until their moneybags owner pulled the plug.