• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I didn't go for the football...

GJW

I was reminded of this with Ethan going to Sheffield Utd but, in a thread which may be of limited interest, have you ever visited a football ground for non-footballing reasons?

I used to work for a company who sponsored Huddersfield-Sheffield Giants (as they were) rugby league team and four of us went to watch them get turned over by Leeds Rhinos at Bramall Lane. We went up to Sheffield on the Saturday and had a night out then the match was early Sunday afternoon. The ground was pretty empty but we were in hospitality and had a very nice roast.

My current employer hosted a corporate do at Villa Park in around 2010. We got to see quite a bit of the behind the scenes whilst setting up and then there was a stadium tour afterwards.

Both great grounds and both a real mix of old and new. Some parts of Villa Park that you wouldn’t normally see were really quite shabby and carpeted with something that looked like it had come from a grotty 1970’s pub. On the other hand, the player facilities drilled home just how pampered they were and the main hospitality restaurant was very smart. My trophy to take away was an Aston Villa pencil. Expensive tastes, me.

Mods - feel free to move as i wasn't sure where to put this.
I had a corporate day at Villa Park in 2002 with behind the scenes ground tour, lots of food and drink and hosted by Ray Graydon and someone else I can’t remember ( famous villa player from the eighties). Good day out. Someone I know ran a company and One of his suppliers arranged the day. Against Southampton.
Did a ground tour of the millennium stadium in Cardiff while I was in the city once. No rugby on that day though.

GJW

Do Rugby grounds that were occasionally used for football count?, if so a went to see Simple Minds play at Cardiff Arms Park in the late 80's
I saw A-ha at Yeovil FC a couple of years ago and Simple Minds at Taunton Race course.