• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How many alcoholic units are you downing in an average week ?

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of course , within reason , extra alcohol would give the wine more body and therefore should be more enjoyable accordingly.

Alistair20000

Does the quality in taste for wine increase with a higher % alcohol is an interesting point. I reckon Al would have the answer. What says the fine wines guru?
A question that is teeming with interesting points.

A full and proper answer would run to many paragraphs. You could instead pay £200 and attend one of my Masterclass lectures. :)

Just a few thoughts:

Remember that without alcohol wine would just be grape juice.

The more tannin there is in a red wine will require more alcohol to balance so a bold red needs a higher alcohol content compared with a lighter red.

White wines do not have tannins and the balance is between acidity and alcohol content. High acidity with a low alcohol content will deliver a refreshing clean tasting wine whereas a white wine with low acidity and high alcohol will taste dull and flabby. It is hard to make a high acidity and high alcohol white wine due to the way white grapes are grown. The grower needs to pick before the acidity drops too far to deliver a deeper bodied fine white wine.

At the end of the day trust your own taste and buy from those growers that make wines you like.

geoffwp

I've learnt a few things there Al, a good wine lesson. Let me know when classes are due to start. I assume lots of tasting involved. 🍷

Alistair20000

I've learnt a few things there Al, a good wine lesson. Let me know when classes are due to start. I assume lots of tasting involved. 🍷
Lots of tastings are de rigueur (y)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
As we are still in lockdown how are people getting on these days ?

Legohead

Banned
40 -45 units a week for me regularly. I drink most nights, some weeks every night of the week and usually have 3 bottles of IPA type ale each night which are about 3.6%. On one or two nights i will have 4 bottles. Want to stop and want to shift a bit of timber but it's not possible at the moment given the severity of the restrictions on daily life that effect mental health unfortunately.

iscalad

As we are still in lockdown how are people getting on these days ?
Drinking less

Grecian2K

Please refer to my answer on the "healthy snack" thread...and then do the maths. :p

Alistair20000

About the same as when this thread kicked off.

angelic upstart

Generally none. Got a zoom call with some pals on Saturday for a "virtual race night" so I'll drink the booze I should've at Christmas.