• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How long can the club punch above its weight?

"

The squad is stronger this season.......................thiis will see two or three of them get extended runs in the side where they will show their worth"

You do know, don't you, that this is one of them factoids that is made up entirely of your own mind's fiction? How can the squad be stronger when you've lost so many decent players?

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Am I the only person who doesn't think Tisdale has finished with his summer signings?

Transfer window is open for a while yet...

ecfcandy

We just lack a creative midfielder now unless Bauza is going to step up, and then we need one more striker, if we don't get that then O'Flynn will step up.

Yeah Ryan and Jamie were big losses but we had plenty of games where Ryan didn't show up.
I agree with Jay, not such a problem really.Players need an opportunity to prove themselves, how can this ever happen if we rely on Harley or Cureton. All clubs loose their top players, you just have to dig in for a while and then success will follow!

Not a big fan of the negativity being shown by this thread!

Last edited:

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
why is it that anyone who has a user name with a superlative like Ace or finest in it seems to have none of the characteristics suggested by that epithet ?
Nah, reckon changing the moniker would still not make a happy 'Clapea Exeter'... :D

Poultice

You do know, don't you, that this is one of them factoids that is made up entirely of your own mind's fiction? How can the squad be stronger when you've lost so many decent players?
Are you really this thick ?

The squad is the sum of all its parts, your assertion was that we should be starting the season weaker, at the start of last season we had Jonesy in goal, Taylor was injured and looked like he might not return, Cureton was an old gimp that we were taking a punt on, Troy had spent most of the previous season on the sick, Noble resembled Mr. Blobby, BJ was a first choice central defender, Nards was living up to his nickname of glass, none of our youngsters looked even close to good enough for the first team and Stewart was still a player.

This season we seem to be pretty much injury free, we have kept the bulk of the squad which closed out last season so well, our crocks have had a full season and a pre to get up to speed, the kids are now being spoken of as being in the frame, Sercs, Troy and Dunny will have matured, Nobby and Nards should start the season fit, they are two class players who along with Bowzer should be able to take up most of the slack lost with Harley, Cureton's goals are a loss but strikers are streaky and there was never any guarantee that such an old guy could do two in a row, besides I rate O'Flynn and people who's view I trust tell me Nicholls could be the real deal.

But other than all that there is not much to suggest we might kick on, no guarantees of course, but having seen the early season performance at Orient where we looked like the team had been lifted out of the E&D Sunday League, I am prepared to state in as categoric way possible that it is my firm belief that we are in a far better position to start this season than we were the last, better players in a better team as a part of a stronger squad, if you don't agree that is your prerogative, why anybody would care what what some Sarf Landan reject thought escapes me, but as I say, everybody has the right to be stupid, some do abuse that privilege but hey, "it's all about opinions la'"(c. Credy).

Last edited:
I agree with Jay, not such a problem really.Players need an opportunity to prove themselves, how can this ever happen if we rely on Harley or Cureton. All clubs loose their top players, you just have to dig in for a while and then success will follow!

Not a big fan of the negativity being shown by this thread!
Didn't mean it to be so. Really want your club to do well and not go back to where from once they came. Even if the team is weaker this coming season - which it almost certainly is - relegation is highly, highly unlikely. As are the play-offs. Consolidate and then kick-on. But if as many goals are let in then it will a nervous season for sure.

Grecian Max

Not being funny 'Pal', but the size of our club clearly shows that League 1 is where we belong. We have under achieved for most of our, history, for me now we are finally doing what we should have done years before.

Our model is strong enough to retain our League One place consistently.

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Are we punching above our weight? Or is it, we are where we deserve to be now, due to the fact the club; now finally after, 104 years of not reaching it's potential, due to the mis-management & short sightedness by previous boards, has now realised and achieved that potential. A City the size of Exeter; should be able to sustain, at least a league 1, & maybe even a championship club. For the first time in our history, the future looks very bright, and long may that continue. UTC [ecfc][party]

Grecian Max

highly, highly unlikely. As are the play-offs.
I completely disagree. The league is weaker and we have a strong squad, the core of which has stayed mostly the same for the last couple of years. Settled squads always do better, unless you throw loads of money around like Rovers (who will bounce back this year)

There's no pressure really, we're all happy in L1, but we can afford to look upwards rather than down.

Grecian Max

Are we punching above our weight? Or is it, we are where we deserve to be now, due to the fact the club; now finally after, 104 years of not reaching it's potential, due to the mis-management & short sightedness by previous boards, has now realised and achieved that potential. A City the size of Exeter; should be able to sustain, at least a league 1, & maybe even a championship club. For the first time in our history, the future looks very bright, and long may that continue. UTC [ecfc][party]
This, this THIS. Spot on.