• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How has Covid effected your relationship with Exeter City?

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
None of the three options fully fit for me.

I found it grim watching iFollow on my own so usually listen on the radio while I'm doing other stuff.

A couple of matches I've missed altogether in real time.
I then go to the ECFC twitter feed and follow the match in artificial 'real time' by scrolling up through all the match stuff and updates.
Then round it off with the Exeweb thread, highlights and 360 video.

It's the crowd I miss most.
Matches at home used to be such a lift.

It's still a great club to follow and be part of.
Once things get back to normal or near normal I'll be delighted and just as keen, maybe keener.
Can't wait.

WXF

Def option 1. I have long COVID which has evolved into quite severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. As an exile, supporting ECFC has become one of main ways I have maintained my connection to Exeter. With my current health, watching iFollow matches has become one of the ways I’ve maintained connection with the outside world :)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Def option 1. I have long COVID which has evolved into quite severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. As an exile, supporting ECFC has become one of main ways I have maintained my connection to Exeter. With my current health, watching iFollow matches has become one of the ways I’ve maintained connection with the outside world :)
Sympathy.

I wonder if longer term when fans are eventually allowed back at games there may be a way for people in your position to watch Saturday games on iFollow, as overseas fans can. Surely some kind of medical exemption is possible?

Grecian Max

Sorry to hear this, I hope over time it improves!

Grecian Max

It's the crowd I miss most.
Matches at home used to be such a lift.
Found myself missing that more for the first time this week. Novelty has definitely worn off, would have loved to have done an away day yesterday.

Leads

A really good question, I have probably found myself in either of the 3 categories. For me, a big part of supporting a team such is Exeter is the ability to watch them play live. It’s about catching up with friends, the match day experience etc. I don’t want to sound harsh, but from an objective point of view the standard of football isn’t that great. If you were only going to support a team via the TV then I think I would watch the Premier League. However, me and some mates for a Sky Sports subscription but I just can’t get into it. I’ve been checking out some of the local teams recently which I just massively prefer. Went along to Peckham Town, £3 to get in, friendly club and you can even take in cans too. I love watching live football so much and I can’t wait for it to properly return- I even went along to Leyton Orient the other week to try and look through the gate (before I gave up and went to the pub). Also, SJP is one of the best places to watch football (in my slightly biased view)

WXF

Sympathy.

I wonder if longer term when fans are eventually allowed back at games there may be a way for people in your position to watch Saturday games on iFollow, as overseas fans can. Surely some kind of medical exemption is possible?
Thoughtful idea. There'll be an aversion to doing anything that might facilitate further fraud, and I appreciate the 3pm football blackout is very important, but such an exemption would mean a lot for some, me included.

Sorry to hear this, I hope over time it improves!
Thanks!

andrew p long

Transformed the amount of football I watch. The credit card bill showed 7 entries of £10 to EFL Digital in the space of one month.

Whereas,as an Exile, and with working and family commitments, I usually get to one or sometimes two games a season.

This, together with Scott Palfrey's excellent series of interviews during lockdown, has brought me closer to the club.Its great to see the development of Key and Randall, with quite a few more to come.

But this has been at the expense of the dedicated fans who travel the country following City live, like Oldsmobile with a serious record of attending the likes of Morecambe away (!) but not seeing City games now. Will be fascinating to see how this pans out when (if) we return to a pre Covid set of rules.

Coppers

3 options

1) it has whetted my appetite for live football, and I follow Exeter City more obsessively and more passionately than prior to Cov19

2) not much difference

3) I'm starting to lose interest, not going to games or SJP has meant that my connection with the club has been severed and I have found other ways to occupy my time.

I'd be interested on your thoughts Exeweb...
Very sad but option 3 for me, I've been going for 30 years but not being there to support, the who social part of it, seeing mates, build up to the game at the park in the red square etc. I'm just losing interest now, can't be bothered with watching it online, no atmosphere, none of the experience that I enjoyed. Saturday afternoons are now taken up with family stuff country walks etc and I just keep an eye on the score from my phone. Hopefully I will get back into it when all this passes but I think that many won't bother.

budegrecian

Has to be number 2 for me; I couldn't get any more obsessive or passionate than I already am about City, according to my wife!