• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How good is Exeweb's player judgement?

older-codger

Just a few weeks ago, Exeweb was full of praise for Jayden Stockley with demands that he be signed permanently as he was the answer our prayers. 3 goals in his first 2 games and he was seen as a great find. He has failed to score since and from games that I have seen, has never seemed likely to, culminating in being subbed at half time last night for Clinton of all people.

This started me thinking about some of the others in the squad. Ryan Harley - returned to the club to cries of delight as the great conductor of operations on the pitch. Again, for me, he has failed to produce the goods, especially last night when he was dire.

Lee Holmes - came on loan and had everyone purring about his wing play, again welcomed with open arms when he signed permanently. Has the ability to produce the goods, but not consistently, and starts last night as an apparent let back (!!). Still not the player that he was on loan.

Alex Nicholls came as a striker (still listed as such on the club site) and turned our season around in partnership with Cummins when on loan. Duly signs, seems forgotten for a while, and then appears as a central midfielder.

David Wheeler, came as a winger and has created havoc to defences at times when played as such, but looking less than effective when played as a striker. Consequently does not produce the goods that most expected when they were pleading for him to sign a new contract.

Tom McCready - hailed as a good solid midfielder, finds himself playing at right back and then dropped, presumably not up to standard.

Manny Oyeleke - seemed a good signing as another midfielder, but is presumably not even considered good enough for the bench.

David Noble - does the job on the whole but seems to be only able to play a couple of games every couple of months.

Will Hoskins - looked a good signing, but enough said!!

That is too many who have flattered to deceive for one reason or another. I will leave it to others to give the reason.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
On Oyeleke, word was at Wycombe that he was considered a couple of weeks short of full fitness.

Noble is the big miss currently - anyone who saw him at Orient (his last game for us before his current injury) witnessed a masterclass.

McCready performed well at Wycombe IMO, and is unlucky to have missed out following Ribs' injury.

Holmes is clearly playing where he is for the reasons you state - if he was consistent he'd be playing at Championship level. His crossing ability is second to none though.

I like Alex Nicholls, although he isn't a central midfielder.

Wheeler looked way off the pace at Wycombe and sounded as much last night too. Hopefully will get better again with games.

Hoskins - meh. Was worth a shot but clearly his body ain't up to it. Get rid as soon as possible.

Boyo

One of the issues is that Tisdale too frequently plays players out of position. As you point out, Holmes is a good winger, not a good full back. Wheeler is a great winger, less good up front, etc etc.

Another point is consistency of team selection. From game to game we seem to make 3 or 4 changes regardless. That cannot help a team gel.

We have some really good individuals and potentially a great team, but they are not playing as a team, primarily due to the two reasons above.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's also about having players that compliment each other. Stockley is a big lump and needs someone playing off him with decent movement. We had that and its not been replaced.

Harley needs two energetic players around him to put their foot in and give him the ball. We may have these but not sure we'll ever find out.

It goes back to the balance of the squad and the managers recruitment and retention of players.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Manc is nailed on - the balance is all to pot.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Problem for me seems to be that we play well for 3 or 4 games, then badly for 3 or 4 games. When we play well, our players are good, when we play badly they are all hopeless. I have no doubts that we'll see more good performances before the seasons out. The question is how we can shorten the poor runs and lengthen the good. on our day we can beat anyone. Problem is, we can also lose to anyone when we're not on it.

bootesful

It's also about having players that compliment each other. Stockley is a big lump and needs someone playing off him with decent movement. We had that and its not been replaced.
Noticed at Hartlepool that Stockley put a few balls over and through into space (e.g centre midfield to RH edge of penalty) and nobody arrived or was even close. It seemed like he wasn't used to the team yet. He's had a couple of poor games, but was v.v.v.v.v. surprised to find him subbed for Morrison. Sure most supporters on Exeweb like ol' Clint, but he really is ineffective and just simply past it. I wonder if some of the recent team disaffection stems from the team choice at Anfield? Starting with Morrison seemed suicidal and Tisdale's choices were ones of obvious capitulation.

The post-match audio interview with Tisdale is the closest I've heard to him being angry. "Lost the dressing room" is a bit too simple, but he certainly has misplaced parts of it (goodwill?).

paperclip

Noticed at Hartlepool that Stockley put a few balls over and through into space (e.g centre midfield to RH edge of penalty) and nobody arrived or was even close. It seemed like he wasn't used to the team yet. He's had a couple of poor games, but was v.v.v.v.v. surprised to find him subbed for Morrison. Sure most supporters on Exeweb like ol' Clint, but he really is ineffective and just simply past it. I wonder if some of the recent team disaffection stems from the team choice at Anfield? Starting with Morrison seemed suicidal and Tisdale's choices were ones of obvious capitulation.

The post-match audio interview with Tisdale is the closest I've heard to him being angry. "Lost the dressing room" is a bit too simple, but he certainly has misplaced parts of it (goodwill?).
Erm, I'm not sure they do! Yes some of our newer supporters think the sun shines out of his arse, but I would suggest the majority of Exewebbers think he is dogshyte.

oxford don

Erm, I'm not sure they do! Yes some of our newer supporters think the sun shines out of his arse, but I would suggest the majority of Exewebbers think he is dogshyte.
Taggs a big fan...that's why he's still in the reckoning.;)

tonykellowfan

Is there any exe web user that would defend Tisdale's line up and tactics in the Liverpool replay?

That match just summed it up for me. Great first performance and then completely inexplicable set up in the second game.

Most of those listed in the OP are good players and played in the correct position week in week out will do well.