• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

how does City's current form rate 1)historically 2)nationally

chunkymorrinmunter

Quite. Beer was more your small, nippy type of striker, to my mind.
Yes ,he could catch pigeons,quite quick.

ECFCNo1

Here's the updated form table. Not much has changed but we have now been to of this table for the last 3 weeks.

Attachments

Red Bill

I think we may have a different opinion of Mark Hughes rather than of Beer, as I'd describe Hughes as a more of a small nippy type with a better all round game than many strikers, which is how I remember Alan Beer. Tony was more of an out and out give me the ball and I'll stick it in the net no nonsense striker, which isn't how I think of Hughes.

Either way, they were both great players, and for us to be contemplating whether we have a similar pairing now just shows how the talent at our club is blossoming right now.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think we may have a different opinion of Mark Hughes rather than of Beer, as I'd describe Hughes as a more of a small nippy type with a better all round game than many strikers, which is how I remember Alan Beer. Tony was more of an out and out give me the ball and I'll stick it in the net no nonsense striker, which isn't how I think of Hughes.

Either way, they were both great players, and for us to be contemplating whether we have a similar pairing now just shows how the talent at our club is blossoming right now.
Hughes is 5'10"

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd describe Hughes as a more of a small nippy type with a better all round game than many strikers,.
Hughes was not small or that nippy (though not a slouch). He had quite a physical presence about him, and a lethal shot connection, while Alan Beer was a more Peter Beardsley type of striker, very quick thinking, lovely weighted passes and an excellent finisher one on one with the keeper, worked very well alongside Kellow.

STURTZ

Always saw the Beer Kellow combo as a bit Brian Little and Andy Gray.

budegrecian

Always saw the Beer Kellow combo as a bit Brian Little and Andy Gray.
Only better :)

Red Bill

Hughes was not small or that nippy (though not a slouch). He had quite a physical presence about him, and a lethal shot connection, while Alan Beer was a more Peter Beardsley type of striker, very quick thinking, lovely weighted passes and an excellent finisher one on one with the keeper, worked very well alongside Kellow.
Well you live and learn, always thought Hughes was 5'8"ish! Not sure about the physical presence part though. However he did have great balance and awareness and certainly knew where the goal was. (I have to own up here to having a massive personal blindness about Beardsley, I never could see what all the fuss was about with him! So any comparisons with him and Beer will probably fall on deaf ears(rofl))

Hey its all opinion though and one thing we do all agree on is that Beer was a bleddy good player!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Well you live and learn, always thought Hughes was 5'8"ish! Not sure about the physical presence part though. However he did have great balance and awareness and certainly knew where the goal was. (I have to own up here to having a massive personal blindness about Beardsley, I never could see what all the fuss was about with him! So any comparisons with him and Beer will probably fall on deaf ears(rofl))

Hey its all opinion though and one thing we do all agree on is that Beer was a bleddy good player!
I was fortunate enough to see Beardsley several times in the latter part of his top flight career with Everton, linking up with Tony Cottee. Superb player who was part of (IMO) one of the great strike duos for England.

EDIT: Incidentally, during the warm-ups, he'd go in goal while Neville Southall took shots at him. He was bl**dy good in sticks on that evidence too!

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

A good run I can recall in my early days of watching the Grecians,was a run in 72-73..
From October to the end of January,14 games 9 wins,4 draws & one loss..In those days of 2 points for a win,a draw was seen as a good result.

It pushed the team to near to the top of the 4th Division.The game that killed the Grecians & led to a dip in form was a game against Southport at SJP.They were top,the Grecians 2nd & it ended in a 0-1 defeat in front of 10,000...We never recovered & finished a disappointing 8th..

Last edited: