• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Horse Racing Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure of the time Mike but it's a fair point. This could have been a fluke or that Serpentine is a special horse in the making. We'll see. Meanwhile news recently from Frankie Dettori adamant that he isn't retiring. Given the ride he's just given Coral Eclipse favourite Enable at Sandown just now he should maybe reconsider.
Reminded me a little bit of Shergar. We need to see more of him.
Frankie loves racing so much they'll have to drag him away screaming. But these riders make such a sacrifice with keeping their weight down he could easily retire and he have a fantastic time. Bur, if it's in the blood....

Legohead

Banned
Reminded me a little bit of Shergar. We need to see more of him.
Frankie loves racing so much they'll have to drag him away screaming. But these riders make such a sacrifice with keeping their weight down he could easily retire and he have a fantastic time. Bur, if it's in the blood....
The great Tony McCoy knew when it was the right time to retire. He knew that if he was unable to give 100% anymore then that's the time to call it a day. As much as I like Frankie and all he's done for the sport, he's not 100% and that's not fair on anyone so he should reconsider IMO.

IndoMike

The great Tony McCoy knew when it was the right time to retire. He knew that if he was unable to give 100% anymore then that's the time to call it a day. As much as I like Frankie and all he's done for the sport, he's not 100% and that's not fair on anyone so he should reconsider IMO.
He's done everything and has nothing to.prove. He deserves to retire and have the good life, but like I say all top sportsmen find it hard to walk away : "the adrenalin" and all that. Wonder if he'll turn to training? Bit late maybe.

Alistair20000

I'm not sure of the time Mike but it's a fair point. This could have been a fluke or that Serpentine is a special horse in the making. We'll see. Meanwhile news recently from Frankie Dettori adamant that he isn't retiring. Given the ride he's just given Coral Eclipse favourite Enable at Sandown just now he should maybe reconsider.
Derby time was 0.07 seconds quicker than average so maybe we should not underestimate Serpentine. Still feel it was a poor quality renewal with three outsiders filling the first three places. Kameko reverting to 10 furlongs now.

I was pleased English King got beat with Tom Marquand jocked off for Dettori and with Tom riding the runner up.

I have just watched the Eclipse. Not sure Dettori gave Enable a bad ride. The mare looked rusty and should come on for the race. The winner looks to have improved, was fit and in form.

Legohead

Banned
Just hoping that paying spectators will be allowed into racecourses soon. I've not even got any idea when this will be but i'm sure the midweek low key meetings will be fine now as it is. I often go to places like Southwell and Uttoxeter midweek and it's easy to social distance because it's just not busy. The weekends are the problem mainly with the crowds and also midweek meets like Royal Ascot etc.

Alistair20000

Just hoping that paying spectators will be allowed into racecourses soon. I've not even got any idea when this will be but i'm sure the midweek low key meetings will be fine now as it is. I often go to places like Southwell and Uttoxeter midweek and it's easy to social distance because it's just not busy. The weekends are the problem mainly with the crowds and also midweek meets like Royal Ascot etc.
Crowds up to 5,000 allowed on French racecourses and other sports stadia since 11 July

Legohead

Banned
Crowds up to 5,000 allowed on French racecourses and other sports stadia since 11 July
I didn't know that. Thanks Ali. As usual we are so far behind it's untrue. I've been to midweek meetings at Southwell where there are probably a couple of hundred punters. There is enough space to leave 50 metres apart never mind 2 so and tickets can be pre booked online so I really don't know why we can't get the ball rolling and start opening up racecourses midweek initially limited to a small number of tickets.

It's only like going to a zoo or theme park effectively and they are allowed to open. It's ridiculous.

Alistair20000

I didn't know that. Thanks Ali. As usual we are so far behind it's untrue. I've been to midweek meetings at Southwell where there are probably a couple of hundred punters. There is enough space to leave 50 metres apart never mind 2 so and tickets can be pre booked online so I really don't know why we can't get the ball rolling and start opening up racecourses midweek initially limited to a small number of tickets.

It's only like going to a zoo or theme park effectively and they are allowed to open. It's ridiculous.
I expect our Government will say we are a few weeks behind France but they just say what suits them. I cannot see why crowds are excluded when as you say for the run of the mill meetings there are few spectators anyway.

IndoMike

I expect our Government will say we are a few weeks behind France but they just say what suits them. I cannot see why crowds are excluded when as you say for the run of the mill meetings there are few spectators anyway.
(Crikey, Ali. Your cynicism about the Govt runs deeper than mine).
The Derby is a funny old race. We knew that the draw was totally unfavourable for
English King and 3yr olds are still immature.
It was such a disappointing race.
With memories of greats like Sir Ivor, Roberto, Nashwan, Shergar et al this was like the Donkey Derby.
Clearly in his next race his opponents won't/can't give him such a lead . Can he react under pressure?

Legohead

Banned
Frankie cruises to victory on Enable today in a King George with just 3 runners. A bit pathetic really. Still, it was an impressive performance and got Frankie out of the doodaa for a couple of appalling rides earlier on in the day.

Still no news about when spectators will be permitted into racecourses. An absolute joke.