• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hoary Old Chesnut I Know, THE CENTRE SPOT.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Sorry, I am out of the Loop, has it been renamed?.

Just looked at the Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/TheCentreSpotExeterCityFootballClub .Am I missing something?.

Also, I was told by more than one person who was in there, after the game, that despite the fact that it is a venue to visit after a match, they were told to leave circa 18:30 as a private function was booked in.

At the time, many fans were gathered, of whom many were watching Man Utd V Liverpool.

Am I misinformed?.

Terryhall

I'd say if the place is being booked for private functions that's a good thing as that will all be money for the club.

Appreciate that fans in there drinking are also spending money that goes to the club but I'd imagine a private function is probably more profitable (not that I have anything beyond gut feel to back that up.)

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whether we've won lost or drawn, I cant see why any fan who likes a drink would want to spend all that much time at this place after a match. I would have thought the 6.30pm deadline is perfectly sufficient. Is there seriously very many fans who would want to stay there that much longer?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Cat and Fiddle has also been renamed.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'm more that happy going in to the real ale bar after the game, while waiting for the 6.30pm train home. They have some good beers.

More tables and chairs would be good.

Oldsmobile-88

On the few occasions I go into the SJC post match it is usually empty by 1830..The only times I have seen it busy after that time is when I have attended a function..Most people I know go to The Black Horse to watch any live game on TV after the game.

SimonBB

I was in the Centre spot after the game & we were told to move on by 6.30. I wouldn't say there was much more that 50 people in there though.

To be fair, there were notices up before the game saying that the Spot would be shutting from 6:30pm for a private function. The guys on the real ale bar were also informing people before the game too.

Good to see the place being used for private events, especially if they're bringing in much needed income.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, there were notices up before the game saying that the Spot would be shutting from 6:30pm for a private function. The guys on the real ale bar were also informing people before the game too.

Good to see the place being used for private events, especially if they're bringing in much needed income.
Indeed, as well as bringing in "outside" revenue rather than relying on the usual 3000 or so people to contribute to the club's finances, it may just encourage a few new supporters along.

Oldsmobile-88

It is a poor venue as been mentioned numerous times, but it still seems to attract various partys/events which I'm sure is more to do with regular punters to SJP who wish to the their 'do' at the football club.