• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hartlepool United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's normal that people are disappointed. Football is an emotional sport and like I say, for City and many other clubs, it's a roller coaster.
People dream of a Cup run, dream of drawing a top club home or away, and realise the importance of the financial aspect.
Of course they're disappointed after going 2 goals up v Hartlepool we couldn't see it through ; what do you expect?
Doesn't mean they won't go to the next game
or stop supporting the team.
You can't and don't want to take the emotion out o the game. It's disappointment, not negativity.
There's nothing wrong with being disappointed but some of the comments suggesting our season is over and we are destined for mid-table mediocrity seem a little bit of an over-reaction. We are second in the table on merit and if we can keep our star players and tighten up defensively away from home I'm still pretty confident we can be challenging for promotion at the end of the season.

GrecianExile

No, I speak the truth. When I see joke goals getting let in, I speak up. That keeper has cost us so many games, its unreal. And it appears the defence around him dont speak to him.
You speak “opinion” that doesn’t mean it’s the truth/fact.

Im not saying Maxted hasn’t made a few mistakes but you literally try and blame him for the majority of the goals that go in just as you were also critical about Ward when he played. I’m still waiting to hear what makes you a goalkeeping expert to be honest?

Strangely you don’t seem so vocal when the goalkeeper/team have kept a clean sheet which there have been many this season or when they make good saves. They are league two players so they will all have aspects and form when they are not perfect, that’s why they are at this level.

its not just the goalies, I remember you making a big deal about when opposition should have had a penalty and focussing on that rather than an away win, it wasn’t Exeter’s fault if the ref didn’t give it!

Most of your posts focus on negative aspects rather than positive aspects and really supporting the team and/or individual players. Not saying you don’t have the right to mention now and then if you feel a player hasn’t performed that well but to constantly pick negatives, what benefit is that to the team and players? How about showing support, what if players do read this forum, yes they should be strong enough to take criticism but constant criticism could also affect their confidence, why not try and be positive now and then!

Of course it’s disappointing going out of the FA Cup but we are still in another cup into the last 16 and currently sat 2nd into the league in mid December so it’s not all doom and gloom even though you make out it is!

Last edited:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
There's nothing wrong with being disappointed but some of the comments suggesting our season is over and we are destined for mid-table mediocrity seem a little bit of an over-reaction. We are second in the table on merit and if we can keep our star players and tighten up defensively away from home I'm still pretty confident we can be challenging for promotion at the end of the season.
I don't recall any posts where somebody suggested the season is over, SEA, only posts restricted to the Hartlepool result and our lack of a regular goalscorer.
Personally I think we should make the top 7. Regarding the autos, Swindon are looking strong and have a real goalscorer in Doyle (but not sure if he goes back to Bradford in January),
Bradford must have a chance, and then we have a group with City, FGR, Crewe. Don't think Plymouth will be get into the playoffs, Newport have dropped out of it a bit, and the others are nothing special.
Our advantage is that Ward will be coming back soon and we have a decent-size squad. Also there is a small chance that Ajose will come back fit and firing.
But we can't deny that our lack of a regular goalscorer is not hurting us somewhat.