• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Lee and Sonny Cox - sign professional contracts

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's their career, their future. Some people forget this - that is their livelihood going forward - that will shape their path and what opportunities they may have away from kicking a ball around on pitch. The system sucks for smaller clubs, but if they choose to go to a Prem team, good for them. Even if they don't make it, if they're sensible with the ££ they will have a sizeable chunk for their next step. Football is such a short career, at my age I'd be a veteran already!

If that was a relative of mine I'd be all for it.
This. Fans seem to be too blinded by the badge to see that for players it is a job, a short uncertain job that can either earn them a pittance for maybe 10-15 years, a nice wedge, or for the lucky tealented ones an absolute fortune.
I don’t think you can blame them for trying make hay while the sunshines.

Boyo

I think there's a perception that Premier League Clubs hoover up all the talent across the country and that they have hundreds of kids on their books. That simply is not true. Man Utd for example, have 22 players in their u18 squad, whilst Man City have just 16. Those teams are supplemented by younger players, but the numbers, in my view, are not ridiculous.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think there's a perception that Premier League Clubs hoover up all the talent across the country and that they have hundreds of kids on their books. That simply is not true. Man Utd for example, have 22 players in their u18 squad, whilst Man City have just 16. Those teams are supplemented by younger players, but the numbers, in my view, are not ridiculous.
Clubs differ, Chelski probably one of the worst culprits.

Grecian Max

DawlishBouy

Across their Under 18, under 19 and under 23 squads Man City had 35 players qualified as under 18’s for the 2020/21 season.

Boyo

Across their Under 18, under 19 and under 23 squads Man City had 35 players qualified as under 18’s for the 2020/21 season.
I'm not sure your source, but nevertheless 35 across a number of years, is a long way from the perception of 100's, which was my point.

Boyo

Yep, thousands of kids won't make it each year. At ECFC we have Development Centres across the region (7 or 8, I recall) and kids aged 7-14 will train regularly at their local centre. We literally have 100's of kids on our books, but only the best will make it to the Academy. My previous point is that once kids get to school-leaving age, the Clubs (including the Premier League giants) are uber selective. Inevitably the bigger clubs will likely have larger numbers, but it's not the 100's per year group that is often assumed on here.

DawlishBouy

Yep, thousands of kids won't make it each year. At ECFC we have Development Centres across the region (7 or 8, I recall) and kids aged 7-14 will train regularly at their local centre. We literally have 100's of kids on our books, but only the best will make it to the Academy. My previous point is that once kids get to school-leaving age, the Clubs (including the Premier League giants) are uber selective. Inevitably the bigger clubs will likely have larger numbers, but it's not the 100's per year group that is often assumed on here.
Source is transfermarkt.co.uk
It means they had 35 players as first and second year scholars. The best of them play for the u-23’s and UEFA u-19’s and are not named in the u-18 squad.

Boyo

Source is transfermarkt.co.uk
It means they had 35 players as first and second year scholars. The best of them play for the u-23’s and UEFA u-19’s and are not named in the u-18 squad.
Thanks. So approx 17-18 per age group.

IndoMike

Funny how so many posters are banging on about other posters not understanding why our kids might want to join a PL club and about their right to earn a big salary. Think you're all over- preaching to the converted.
Hardly any posters on this thread have said they shouldn't leave for a PL club, but a few including myself have pointed out that it's not all plain sailing and that there are advantages staying at City too until they are 18.
But yes, we get it already that they can make a fast buck at the PL clubs and they have every right to do that.