• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Lee and Sonny Cox - sign professional contracts

Memphis09

But parents heads are also turned by seeing a 'King's ransom' put on the table, naturally they want the best for those lads so loyalty then drops down the list of priorities.
Would not in my case seen it to many times here let alone other clubs

Ash

Like I said, I can fully understand the academy kid and his family taking the opportunity to join a Premier League club and if I was the parent I might want that too : I don't know.
I'm just trying to say that there are two sides to every story. For every 16yr old who makes the grade there are hundreds that don't, not even at lower League level
Conversely,O'Shea spent time at City and it certainly didn't halt his progress.
I'm not talking about loyalty: I'm just saying that playing in Div 2 first would give a better idea of the kids true ability in men's football. You said "What if they're not good enough in Div2?". Well, you kind of prove my point. If they went to a PL club but it was found that when 18 or 19 they were not good enough even for Div2 they would quickly get the boot.
But they'd quickly get the boot with perhaps a few hundred K in the bank, ready to kick start whatever they end up doing with their lives, that's the difference.

ryancooper327

Surely Cox would have to be above Seymour in MT’s ‘stay and you’ll play’ plea. New, Bowman, Cox, Seymour? Can’t see either staying though, great opportunity for the young lads and their families however much we’d love them to stay.

Boyo

But parents heads are also turned by seeing a 'King's ransom' put on the table, naturally they want the best for those lads so loyalty then drops down the list of priorities.
As has been said before on this thread, loyalty has nothing to do with their decision. Rightly so. These boys should not feel obligated to sign for us purely because they grew up in Devon and didn't have the opportunity to sign for a Premier League club until they have left school. I do feel that we should be adequately compensated, not least because we invest heavily in the Academy, but that should have no influence on the boys or their parents who are making a life-changing decision at a very tender age.

ChrisWickens

As has been said before on this thread, loyalty has nothing to do with their decision. Rightly so. These boys should not feel obligated to sign for us purely because they grew up in Devon and didn't have the opportunity to sign for a Premier League club until they have left school. I do feel that we should be adequately compensated, not least because we invest heavily in the Academy, but that should have no influence on the boys or their parents who are making a life-changing decision at a very tender age.
That sums up the situation perfectly but until decent compensation is made we will continuously gripe about this.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
If I was an up and coming academy 16 year old I would f**k the rest of the footballing world off as long as I could play for City. And when I'd graduated and had established myself in the first team I would consider that my achievement in football and spurn the chance of earning more money at some person rich club in favour of wearing the blessed red and white. Other clubs can suck my ****, I'm a Grecian!

Memphis09

If I was an up and coming academy 16 year old I would f**k the rest of the footballing world off as long as I could play for City. And when I'd graduated and had established myself in the first team I would consider that my achievement in football and spurn the chance of earning more money at some ******* rich club in favour of wearing the blessed red and white. Other clubs can suck my ****, I'm a Grecian!
Could not have put it better myself

Trapdoor

Sturtz, I know age is no barrier (see Curo) but do you think you could still do a job for us?

Grecian_Matt

Football isn't about the club anymore..
It is about how much can I earn in a 12-15 year career.

They will earn more at Man Utd in the next year than they would at City in 5+ years.
Personally I think they will both leave, I don't think it matters really at any age - If a Premiership club comes calling no matter how old you are, you have to take the opportunity.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's their career, their future. Some people forget this - that is their livelihood going forward - that will shape their path and what opportunities they may have away from kicking a ball around on pitch. The system sucks for smaller clubs, but if they choose to go to a Prem team, good for them. Even if they don't make it, if they're sensible with the ££ they will have a sizeable chunk for their next step. Football is such a short career, at my age I'd be a veteran already!

If that was a relative of mine I'd be all for it.