• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Lee and Sonny Cox - sign professional contracts

budegrecian

As much as it would be good to keep Lee and Cox, if we could get 250k each for them, that would give MT half a million to bring players new in!
The combined sum you think acceptable for the two would cover one weeks wages for a top PL player. Hardly fair recompense is it?

AmberRed

The combined sum you think acceptable for the two would cover one weeks wages for a top PL player. Hardly fair recompense is it?
Yes, but we are not talking about a top PL player, we are talking about two 16 year old lads that haven't even played for their League 2 clubs yet! We seem to be the only club that 'expects' these amounts just because of Ollie and Amps!!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
And
Yes, but we are not talking about a top PL player, we are talking about two 16 year old lads that haven't even played for their League 2 clubs yet! We seem to be the only club that 'expects' these amounts just because of Ollie and Amps!!
And Grimes. He was younger than Ollie when he was transferred and we got 1.75m for him. And City say that we were happy with Villa over the deal for Chrisene .
I think your value estimates are a bit outdated. We sold 18 yr old Chris Vinnicombe to Rangers more than 30 years ago for 150k.

Reactions: Ash

iscalad

Kevin Nicholson
I don't see why you find this funny Indo! Kevin Nicholson is Head of Coaching at City. He stated this during his talk with the Senior Reds.

Boyo

In reality, if there was a Premier League club within 90 mins of Exeter, these lads would have signed for them a number of years ago. Our remoteness here gives us a big advantage, in that these boys can't sign elsewhere until they reach 16 and leave school.

Be that as it may, we do invest heavily (significantly more than many clubs at our level) into the academy to provide the best possible platform for these boys to succeed. We therefore should be rightly compensated for doing so and providing that opportunity for boys across Devon. The solidarity payments we receive from the Premier League are pitiful and the EPPP formula does not work in our favour.

At the age of 16, boys should have the choice of playing wherever they want. They should not be disadvantaged due to growing up in Devon. I'm staggered that people on here genuinely think the boys should stay at ECFC rather than sign for a Premier league club. Granted, that's probably the best scenario for the club, but almost certainly not the lads. The level of coaching, facilities, experiences and opportunities at any of the established Premier Leagues clubs far outweigh what we can realistically offer at ECFC. The only advantage of staying here would be having family and friends locally to support them. In the 17/18 season, 51 Man Utd graduates played in the football league (including 10 in the Premier league) compared to 15 from our Academy (none in the Premier League, two in the Championship).

The cause of the frustration is the compensation we receive. These are clubs that pay their top players hundreds of thousands per week. A million quid is a drop in the ocean for them but a gamechanger for us, yet they will argue the toss over those amounts. If an adequate compensation scheme can be formulated then all parties can be satisfied. It would have the added benefit of encouraging other clubs to invest in their academies too.

Maxi08

In reality, if there was a Premier League club within 90 mins of Exeter, these lads would have signed for them a number of years ago. Our remoteness here gives us a big advantage, in that these boys can't sign elsewhere until they reach 16 and leave school.

Be that as it may, we do invest heavily (significantly more than many clubs at our level) into the academy to provide the best possible platform for these boys to succeed. We therefore should be rightly compensated for doing so and providing that opportunity for boys across Devon. The solidarity payments we receive from the Premier League are pitiful and the EPPP formula does not work in our favour.

At the age of 16, boys should have the choice of playing wherever they want. They should not be disadvantaged due to growing up in Devon. I'm staggered that people on here genuinely think the boys should stay at ECFC rather than sign for a Premier league club. Granted, that's probably the best scenario for the club, but almost certainly not the lads. The level of coaching, facilities, experiences and opportunities at any of the established Premier Leagues clubs far outweigh what we can realistically offer at ECFC. The only advantage of staying here would be having family and friends locally to support them. In the 17/18 season, 51 Man Utd graduates played in the football league (including 10 in the Premier league) compared to 15 from our Academy (none in the Premier League, two in the Championship).

The cause of the frustration is the compensation we receive. These are clubs that pay their top players hundreds of thousands per week. A million quid is a drop in the ocean for them but a gamechanger for us, yet they will argue the toss over those amounts. If an adequate compensation scheme can be formulated then all parties can be satisfied. It would have the added benefit of encouraging other clubs to invest in their academies too.
I don’t think young Lee would see it as investing heavily to give him the best platform as we made our gk coach redundant and he had to find his own training for half the season. Probably why him and Jack Arther have been with the first team , because they had to with no other Gk coach

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I don’t think young Lee would see it as investing heavily to give him the best platform as we made our gk coach redundant and he had to find his own training for half the season. Probably why him and Jack Arther have been with the first team , because they had to with no other Gk coach
I expect that another coach was given the responsibility of providing goal keeping coaching.

Boyo

Fair enough, although probably caused by the exceptional circumstances of the past 15 months or so. Nevertheless, it does demonstrate further that it really is a no-brainer for these boys to go to Premier league clubs.

Rosencrantz

I expect that another coach was given the responsibility of providing goal keeping coaching.
The academy keeper coach was, I think, providing part time cover. With the extra budget this season though we should go back and recruit a suitable full time GK coach.

Ash

The academy keeper coach was, I think, providing part time cover. With the extra budget this season though we should go back and recruit a suitable full time GK coach.
Absolutely, I think that's essential and hopefully something that we assured Harry Lee would hapoen when we made him the contract offer.