• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Lee and Sonny Cox - sign professional contracts

Boyo

Funny how so many posters are banging on about other posters not understanding why our kids might want to join a PL club and about their right to earn a big salary. Think you're all over- preaching to the converted.
Hardly any posters on this thread have said they shouldn't leave for a PL club, but a few including myself have pointed out that it's not all plain sailing and that there are advantages staying at City too until they are 18.
But yes, we get it already that they can make a fast buck at the PL clubs and they have every right to do that.
The salary is only part of the package. Much more important than that is identifying the best location to develop as a player. Having access to the best coaches, sports scientists and facilities, along with playing daily with and against better and more technically advanced players is the main draw. Plus the opportunity to travel and play in overseas tournaments etc. Claiming that players are going elsewhere, simply to make a "fast buck" is utterly shortsighted.

Red Bill

All this "football is a short career" stuff has no relevance at all these days. In the days when there were such things as jobs for life, it had some meaning, but these days most people will have several over their working life, at nearly 60 i'm on my 4th!
And as for money, if I'd been earning £75-£100k+ a year at 21, as many in League two are with the chance of doubling or trebling that by simply moving up one leage, by 35 I could have a far more secure future than most of my peers could ever dream of if i'd spent wisely, and still have 30 years to build another career.
It's self centred greed and materialsm plain and simple.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The salary is only part of the package. Much more important than that is identifying the best location to develop as a player. Having access to the best coaches, sports scientists and facilities, along with playing daily with and against better and more technically advanced players is the main draw. Plus the opportunity to travel and play in overseas tournaments etc. Claiming that players are going elsewhere, simply to make a "fast buck" is utterly shortsighted.
Yes, I'm aware of that. But the main argument has been the money they could make in a short period of time, and that was the point I was referring to. Don't think there's much point in regurgitating every advantage of academy lads going to PL clubs in every post, the same as I don't think there's much point about banging on about the fast buck in every post.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It seems to me Harry Lee's situation is altogether different from Sonny Cox's.

Of course, I'd love to see Sonny and Harry featuring in the first team next season. Unfortunately, while it's not difficult to envisage Sonny getting some game time, it's unlikely Matt is going to bring a 16-year-old goalkeeper off the bench for the final 15-20 minutes when we're coasting to victory.

In short, irrespective of the riches available higher up the pyramid, you could understand if Harry thought he'd benefit more from going to a club such as Man U or Everton rather than staying here to sit on the bench or play for the U18s all season.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It seems to me Harry Lee's situation is altogether different from Sonny Cox's.

Of course, I'd love to see Sonny and Harry featuring in the first team next season. Unfortunately, while it's not difficult to envisage Sonny getting some game time, it's unlikely Matt is going to bring a 16-year-old goalkeeper off the bench for the final 15-20 minutes when we're coasting to victory.

In short, irrespective of the riches available higher up the pyramid, you could understand if Harry thought he'd benefit more from going to a club such as Man U or Everton rather than staying here to sit on the bench or play for the U18s all season.
I agree to a point but maybe it depends how good he is? Right now we only have Jack Arthur. Who's to say we will sign another keeper? If they're that well thought of maybe we won't....

Ex-ciderrr

I think it’s a pretty fair offer of if you stay you’ll play to these two kids, both certainly (by Taylor + coaching staff judgment) ready to play within our 1st team over the next 1/2 seasons.

Lee, very much I’d say number 2 however I’d suggest a lot of involvement in cup competitions and obviously if whoever becomes ”number 1” was injured for example then, (like Taylor has previously stated before) he would not hesitate to start him in the league if needed. If he’s as good as he’s deemed to be I’d expect the battle for the starting place in the 1st XI will be great and I would fully expect him to push whoever signs in this position to the limit in training and when having an opportunity in games.

Cox, given hes an outfield player will be used a lot more during the season. I’ve only seen him in youth games on YouTube and as we are all aware he is an exceptional player for his age, again Taylor and the coaches know all about him and know he’s ready to be involved with our 1st team at this age, I’d much rather see Cox as say our 2nd or 3rd striker than Seymour, (who was crazily deemed “ahead of“ Fisher & Ajose this time last year for the season just gone) Cox on paper should easily be way “ahead of” Seymour you’d say.

Top clubs all over the UK and Europe are interested in these lads and given the opportunity on the plate for them here at our club, could take the EFL by storm. The chance to make a real name by furthering their development and proving their talents by playing men’s football with us. Of course then if all goes to plan and they blossom, make us plenty of money in the process.

I still feel the chances of us signing them on pro deals are somewhat slim, but here’s hoping hey!

jimbo-gould

This can’t be a bad thing...unless he’s saying his goodbyes 😬

Attachments

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry. Old git alert. What's this supposed to be?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed there can’t be anyone there to say goodbye to?! Hopefully he will sign on.

jimbo-gould

Sorry. Old git alert. What's this supposed to be?
Harry Lee 👍🏻